We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are you a Mexican AI junkie like me?

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Are you a Mexican AI junkie like me?

Since 1999

Puerto Vallarta:

Golden Crown Paradise x12

Nuevo Vallarta:

Marival Suites

Ixtapa:

Club Med

Huatulco:

Dreams

Riviera Maya:

Valentin Imperial Maya x2

El Dorado Royale

El Dorado Seaside Suites

Now Jade x2

Now Sapphire

Secrets Silver Sands

Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Grand Palladium Colonial

Grand Paladium Kantenah

Ocean Coral & Turquesa by H10

Iberostar Quetzal

Iberostar Tucan

Barcelo Maya Beach

Ocean Maya Royale

Riu Yucatan

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are you a Mexican AI junkie like me?

Nope. Never stayed at an all inclusive resort and probably never will. Closest I have ever come is a couple of remote jungle lodges where food and beer were included.......

2. Re: Are you a Mexican AI junkie like me?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2013, 17:03
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,887 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are you a Mexican AI junkie like me?

best times I had were in Roatan and Isla (the AI food was worse than going out to eat) so we enjoyed checking out places around to eat

Similar in Akumal and Tulum

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,285 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are you a Mexican AI junkie like me?

I have stayed at a few over the past 10 or so years:

Las Palmas -Puerto Vallarta

Pelicanos- Puerto Vallarta

Dorado Pacifico- Ixtapa (twice)

Las Hadas- Manzanillo

El Tukan- Playa del Carmen (twice)

Blue Bay Los Angelos Locos- in Tenacatita Bay, just north of Manzanillo

Allegro Occidental- Nuevo Vallarta

Playa Pesquero- Holguin, Cuba

Crown Pacific- Huatulco

Privilege Aluxes- Isla Mujeres

Barcelo Maya Palace- Mayan Riviera

Tesoro Manzanillo - Manzanillo

We stay at AIs about half of our trips....most often because the deal for buying an AI hotel plus airfare is just so much better than going non AI we cannot justify spending way more and booking separately. But, our first choice these days is a condo.....it's just hard to make it work financially over a package often....and while travel is a priority, we have found we have a great time whether we stay 3 star or 5 star in Mexico, or in a condo or AI hotel, it's really all great!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
414 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are you a Mexican AI junkie like me?

Not yet... Just got back from our first trip to Mexico and our first AI at the Riu Yucatan - loved it! My husband and I have already talked about returning, he liked the look of the beach cabanas in Tulum, but I want my swim up bar and worry-free vacation. I think we'll do 2 weeks and split our time between the two when we return.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,708 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are you a Mexican AI junkie like me?

We spent a few days in Tulum last month and really enjoyed it Sabine. I hope you do too. And it was pretty much as worry-free as you can get. We hung out, ate, drank, walked the beach, swam, and repeat :) We loved the smaller hotels and the ease of walking down the beach or the beach road and stopping anyplace we wanted. It was heaven. Of course, unlike an AI, you do need to bring money - unless you eat at your own hotel restaurant, of course, then you can charge to the room and settle up at the end. No swim up bar (I do love those though) but you don't have to put on shoes (at all, the whole time) if you don't want to.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
848 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are you a Mexican AI junkie like me?

Not an AI junkie!

Best trips we've ever taken involve renting a vehicle, and finding new places. So I'm pretty much with Ronaldo on this. We have done AI's (with friends and family), but it is NOT our way to go.

Edited: 18 April 2013, 22:40
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are you a Mexican AI junkie like me?

Great list. We are junkies but we do AI mainly because we can't afford the nice EP properties and eat out (or at the property). The bar bill is the main issue. Also, many of the properties with the most amenities are AI so if you want all of the creature comforts, AI is the way to go unless you can afford the Banyan Tree or similar. In addition, those high level EP resorts never seem to be within walking distance to reasonably priced bars and restaurants so you are stuck paying resort prices for F&B.

Take PDC for example. I want a modern, updated room with a large shower, high quality mattress, oceanfront rooms, beach and pool drink service, swim up bar, room service, on-site restaurant, within .5 miles of 5th Ave for 200-250/ night. It doesn't exist. The only full service resorts that fit the bill are AI resorts. You have to leave town to find an EP resort will all the bells and whistles and if you leave town, you can eat in town. What's the point?

I wish I had the money and the time to create a list like the OP's

1999 Moon Palace

2005 Sun Palace

2005 Omni Cancun

2005 Royal Hideaway

2007 Golden Parnassus

2007 Royal in Playa Del Carmen

2008 Royal in Cancun

2008 Valentin

2009 Excellence Riviera Cancun

2010 Royal in Cancun

2011 Privilege Aluxes

2012 Privilege Aluxes

2013 (scheduled) Secrets Silversands

2013 (scheduled) Playacar Palace

IMHO, Privilege Aluxes is the only full service resort in the area that has most of what I am looking for and is within short walking distance to multiple bars and restaurants. It has an AI option and if you catch a good deal, you can eat off the property regularly, do AI and come in at about the same price as a place like the Royal. The resort isn't perfect but it has a lot of good things going for it.

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are you a Mexican AI junkie like me?

We stay AI as an insurance policy against an astronomical bar bill. I pay up front, still get good food 24/7 and no worries about the bar tab. My last cruise cost me >$1200 in bar bills and that's taking it easy compared to a Mexican AI. When using Apple non-stop charter, transfer and the resort our cost is less than $1200 per person. That gives us plenty of freedom to hit a couple of restaurants outside the resort.

Both of us refuse to fly anything other than a non-stop. From STL we have less than 3 hours flight time and are usually in-resort by 1130 am. Unless you are using flilght miles from a credit card or the like the price of that NS Apple flight is a real bargin.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are you a Mexican AI junkie like me?

Have never done anything but an AI. Just makes sense for us. Same as you DonCarlos - couldn't imagine having to pay for each drink. Never been tempted by a cruise, partly because of the cost of beverages, and now especially what's happened with a broken down cruise ship.

I like not having to think about where to eat, how to get there, stocking up on drinks for the room, sneaking them to the pool/beach. I want to plop my butt down and be waited on for a week, no worries.

Our list is:

EDSS (twice)

VIM (twice)

RPDC (twice)

Presidente Intercontinental Cabo (can't remember how many, 6 probably)

RIU Palace Cabo

Barcelo Palace Cabo

Majestic Elegance Punta Cana

Ciboney, Beaches, Sandals Ocho Rios (same resort, different names)

EDR Casitas next month

Secrets Puerto Los Cabos next year (yes, I plan well ahead)