We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paradisus La Esmeralda, Barcelo Deluxe, or Iberostar Maya?

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Topic
Paradisus La Esmeralda, Barcelo Deluxe, or Iberostar Maya?

I've read so many trip reports, searched the forums, and I've even made a spreadsheet comparing resorts, yet I cannot pull the trigger and decide on a resort!

I will be traveling solo with my 2 kids (9 and 7) this summer, we don't need long walks on the beach, we don't need gourmet food, we don't need a "party" atmosphere. The kids do need some activities (ones that we can all do together are fine; we don't need babysitting/kids club) and we need to accommodate some food allergies. The kids love to swim, and would like to try snorkeling (nothing too heavy duty). Not sure how much time we will spend at the beach as DD is hit or miss with sand (sensory issues).

We would do Family Concierge at Paradisus La Esmeralda, or we would choose Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe or Iberostar Maya. IB and Barcelo have really mixed reviews. A friend stayed at IB and said it was great, but the reviews are not great and I'd hate to spend $1K more on a vacation that ends up being a disappointment.

Has anyone stayed at all of these with kids? I'm leaning toward Paradisus, but wonder it I should go with the bigger resorts.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paradisus La Esmeralda, Barcelo Deluxe, or Iberostar Maya?

You made a spreadsheet? That is totally what I do as well. I like that!

Between the 3 resorts and your needs/wants I don't think you can really go wrong. For me, Parsdisus always prices out more (way more) than the other 2 and if that price doesn't deter you it could be a really good fit. Especially if you plan on booking the Family Concierge. Barcelo and IbMaya do not have a service similar to the family concierge.

All three have waterparks for the kids are geared toward families. Barcelo will win for on site snorkeling. I think its going to come down to budget and checking out pictures and seeing which is more to your liking.

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Paradisus La Esmeralda, Barcelo Deluxe, or Iberostar Maya?

Yes, I made a spreadsheet because I couldn't keep all of the resorts straight! I have something like 10 resorts on there, sorted for features that are important to us. It is completely crazy, I know!

So, price-wise, the Iberostar Maya is $1K more than the Barcelo or Paradisus. But my friend said the Maya was awesome. Is it worth $1K more than the others?

Kentucky
Level Contributor
71 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paradisus La Esmeralda, Barcelo Deluxe, or Iberostar Maya?

Iberostar Maya has a wave pool which is really nice for kids. There is also a lazy river to float on. Most of the resorts have things for the kids to do. Barcelo is very nice. We have stayed at both, they are very large resorts consisting of three to four different resorts. You have the run normally of all of them, if you are staying in the higher priced ones. You may want to check the Grand Palladium resorts also, I know some of them have minature golf. Some of the resorts have teen discos or pre-teen things going on. We have always enjoyed the Iberstar Resorts, my kids enjoyed it also.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paradisus La Esmeralda, Barcelo Deluxe, or Iberostar Maya?

I think the spreadsheet is great! I am really surprised the Maya is $1000 more than Paradisus. I would have thought the Maya and Barcelo would be about the same and Paradisus would be more. It usually is expensive when I price out different trips. Sorry I cant give you a definite answer.

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Paradisus La Esmeralda, Barcelo Deluxe, or Iberostar Maya?

I have the exact same issue! We're gong memorial day weekend and we can't decide between the la perla and barcelo! Based on research, i really like how La Perla has the "El Zocolo" with 14 restaurants (and 10 bars?). La Perla seems to have lots of activities and it's a lot closer (2 miles vs 15 miles) to playa del carmen. But the beach at La Perla does not seem as nice as barcelo!

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paradisus La Esmeralda, Barcelo Deluxe, or Iberostar Maya?

The beach at Barceló is much wider and the on site snorkeling is something that La Perla cant offer, but if this is an adults trip, I would choose La Perla over Barceló Palace in a heart beat. Barceló Palace is a family resort and with it being an American holiday weekend there will most likely be many, many kids. But, if being around kids does not bother you then that wont be a factor.

Just FYI, the 14 restaurants and 10 bars at La Perla, also include restaurants and bars at the sister resort La Esmeralda that will also be crawling with kids like Barceló Palace.

7. Re: Paradisus La Esmeralda, Barcelo Deluxe, or Iberostar Maya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:21