We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort Complex confusion - Barcelo, Iberostar, Riu...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
414 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Resort Complex confusion - Barcelo, Iberostar, Riu...

I get so confused trying to figure out all the different "levels" of these mega-resorts. I've only stayed at the Rius, so I get the whole palace vs. non-palace thing. But all their other properties seem to have the same access, Iberostar doesn't, and I'm not sure about Barcelo.

Can someone rank the Iberostar and Barcelo complexes from top to bottom? And possibly list what the benefits are of going top level vs lower? Thank you!

Pocatello, Idaho
Level Contributor
634 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort Complex confusion - Barcelo, Iberostar, Riu...

Yes. But go to the specific area forum for more detailed info.

IBstar: Paraiso Complex (North of Playa) = (Top to Bottom): GRAND, Maya, Lindo, then the Beach / Del Mar are kind of equal at the lowest end (NOT low end properties by the way). Playacar complex (in Playa) = Quetzal / Tucan (identical, and probably somewhere above the Beach - Del Mar, but slightly lower than the Lindo - Maya). The Q/T complex is significantly smaller than the Paraiso complex, which is HUGE, like the Barcelo.

Barcelo: Top = Palace, then Colonial / Tropical (identical, mid level), and then Beach / Caribe (lowest).

The IB Grand is one of the finest and most expensive AI's in the region. The IB Maya is probably about where the Barcelo Palace is (ish). The IB Beach-Del Mar is probably similar to the Barcelo Beach-Caribe.

Quetzal Tucan has that prime location though on the Playacar. Can walk into town. Paraiso is a colectivo ride into town, as is Barcelo. Barcelo closer to Tulum ruins and parks (like Xel-ha).

Generally you get what you pay for. Nicer rooms, better alcohol selection, etc. More specific questions can also be answered.

thomas

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort Complex confusion - Barcelo, Iberostar, Riu...

Barcelo top to bottom: Palace, Tropical and Colonial, then the Beach and Caribe.

Iberostar Paraiso: Grand, Maya, Lindo, Del Mar and Beach

There is also the Iberostar Tucan and Queztal

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort Complex confusion - Barcelo, Iberostar, Riu...

sorry I posted before I saw you had replied SEIdaho.

Also, some of the lowest level resorts, in particular the Barcelo beach caribe have open air a la carte restaurants which in the summer can get really hot.

Pocatello, Idaho
Level Contributor
634 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort Complex confusion - Barcelo, Iberostar, Riu...

EDIT

Also to answer you directly: You will find a large similarity between the general nature of Iberostar Paraiso, Barcelo, and also Grand Palladium complexes, in that each has a "top" level, two mostly identical "mid levels", and two identical "entry levels". The Palladium actually has the fewest distinctions, as virtually all services are shared and the properties are mostly the same "level".

I would highly recommend any of the three above mentioned. Also in there is Bahia Principe, but I have never stayed there.

Pocatello, Idaho
Level Contributor
634 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort Complex confusion - Barcelo, Iberostar, Riu...

Yes let see Texas has a great point - those entry level ones are rarely air conditioned in terms of public spaces and this makes the most impact in the buffet. Worth the price of a mid-level just for that one thing. Plus with a mid-lelv, you generally have so much more access to the entirety of a resort. That would be my recommendation if you can at all afford it.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
414 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort Complex confusion - Barcelo, Iberostar, Riu...

Thank you for your replies. So are the Iberostar and Barcelo properties set up like the Rius, where the middle and bottom tiers can't access the properties "above" them?

Pocatello, Idaho
Level Contributor
634 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort Complex confusion - Barcelo, Iberostar, Riu...

exactly correct. I mean you can walk over there usually, there are rarely "fences", but you are technically not entitled to use their services, bars, or even pools.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
414 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort Complex confusion - Barcelo, Iberostar, Riu...

Probably not a question you can answer, but why the nearly identical resorts, like Barcelo colonial/tropical and Iberostar quetzal/tucan? Like why would I choose one of those over the other?

I am daydreaming about a family trip some day in the future when my kids will be 4 and 7, BTW.

Pocatello, Idaho
Level Contributor
634 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort Complex confusion - Barcelo, Iberostar, Riu...

Well it has to do something with a law or ordinance regulating the size of a resort I was told. My info is secondhand though. Many of these started out as a simple resort or "pair" like the Barcelo Beach-Caribe. Then when it came time for expansion, they added another Pair. Then, you want an upscale addition, time for a Palace, etc.

The Q/T is a good example of what you note - the lobbies there are actually separated by a wall. You can't just walk through a door. You have to physically walk out the front (or the back) and around the structure to enter the "other" lobby. It's not hard. But it seems kind of silly. So this has to do with some law I guess. Somebody better informed can clarify.

Oh by the way - the Iberostar brand is superb. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

So no there is no significant reason to choose one "equal" over another. I.e., Quetzal / Tucan, Beach / Del Mar, etc.

Edited: 02 May 2013, 16:58
10. Re: Resort Complex confusion - Barcelo, Iberostar, Riu...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 05:15