We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Snorkeling on Riviera Maya

home
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Snorkeling on Riviera Maya

A group of 6 will be visiting Playa del Carmen and Tulum next winter. Any recommendations on the best snorkeling from Playa south? My wife remembers good snorkeling at Xcaret, not as good at Xel-Ha or Yakul. Being a scuba diver I was never that impressed with any of the snorkeling, but this trip will be scuba-free so any advice will be appreciated. We have been going to the Riviera Maya since the early '90s and have seen the rampant (over)development of the area, but it is still hard to beat for warm weather, beautiful blue water and good value for a winter vacation.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Snorkeling on Riviera Maya

Many people recommend going to Akumal for snorkeling. Also, snorkeling off of Puerto Morelos is also highly rated. Its a reef that is a National Park. But Puerto Morelos is north of where you want to go.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Snorkeling on Riviera Maya

Agree withTexas on those two spots. Just down the road from Akumal Bay is Half-Moon bay, lots of corals.

Both area "free" walk-in from the beach.

Puerto Morelos is a National Park and has tours and guides to take you to the reef.

I liked the corals, shells, fish at Puerto Morelos but on the otherhand I like a quick drive or hop on a bus and walk-in to Akumal or Half Moon on a whim.

Both easliy accessible by bus, rental car, cab.

3. Re: Best Snorkeling on Riviera Maya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 07:17