We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most luxurious AI with good calm swimming beach

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
Most luxurious AI with good calm swimming beach

I am thinking about a very last minute trip in 2 weeks and have never stayed in an AI before. We wanted Secrets Marona but it is booked up except for the most expensive room. I have searched this forum extensively but have not come up with an alternative resort. I enjoy swimming in the sea but can not handle much wave action. We want a clean comfortable updated room with good AC and no musty odor. Adults only and a swim up room would be a plus. I can clearly see that I can not get everything I want but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most luxurious AI with good calm swimming beach

Try El Dorado Maroma - arguably more luxurious than Secrets and on the same great beach. And Adults only.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most luxurious AI with good calm swimming beach

kod, you may want to check out the El Dorado Maroma. It is about 1 1/2 miles south (down the beach) from the SMB. They have lovely swim up rooms where the swim up pool actually connects to the main pool. The beach is lovely and you can wade out about 100 feet into the ocean with the water coming up to about your knees. Please take a look and if you have any detailed quesitons, I am happy to help (we arrive in less than 4 months for our 8th visit!).

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most luxurious AI with good calm swimming beach

Thanks so much. Yes, I read about this resort and it sounds very nice. My hesitiation was that the water only came up to your knees and I want to be able to actually swim.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
122 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most luxurious AI with good calm swimming beach

KOD- I'm sorry for the hijack, but have you found reasonable airfare from the Northeast? We've also been keeping an eye out for the same time frame and airfare is close to $800 pp (out of PHL/EWR/BWI) for the first two weeks of July....

GV is luxurious but swimming in the ocean isn't calm or enjoyable with all of the iron shore. Did you look at The Beloved? Or EPM?

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most luxurious AI with good calm swimming beach

Could you tell me what the GV, EPM, Beloved stand for? I was looking at cheapcaribbean.com and apple vacations just as a preliminary. I did not look at individual airlines.Any suggestions on the best way to book this type of trip is appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most luxurious AI with good calm swimming beach

I believe GV is Grand Velas, EPM is Excellence Playa Mujeres, and The Beloved is called just that.

I rather like Expedia, as I can put in flight + hotel (versus packages) and see all the airline options, and all the hotel options and mix and match.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most luxurious AI with good calm swimming beach

One teensy thing to watch with Expedia's "flight + hotel" option - by default, it will select the cheapest airfare without any regard for overall travel time, number of connections, etc. If you click on "flight details" you can mess with the pre-selected flight. To go back to the list of hotels with the new flight configuration, just click on "change hotel" at the flight details page.

Oh, another caution with Expedia is to ensure you read the fine print and ensure you understand (and accept) their change and cancellation policies. The main complaint I've seen about Expedia is from people who didn't do this and were subsequently miffed when Expedia merely lived up to the terms of the contract.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most luxurious AI with good calm swimming beach

Check our Catalonia Royal Tulum (CRT) and Valentin Imperial (VIM) - besides SMB, these two resorts had great ocean swimming in my opinion.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most luxurious AI with good calm swimming beach

We had no problems enjoying swimming in the ocean at Grand Velas and have stayed there three times so far. It is an exceptional resort in every way.

I would cross off Excellence PM and Excellence RC if you want a beautiful beach. Neither IMO will provide that, nor will Azul Beach.

El Dorado Maroma has a stunning beach, great swimming, and is a lovely resort overall and one of our favorites.

Le Blanc has a great beach, excellent service and very good food as well as a great location, awesome spa, great fitness facilities and three pools. We are big fans.

10. Re: Most luxurious AI with good calm swimming beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 06:18