We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pro's and Con's of these three specific resorts

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
429 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Pro's and Con's of these three specific resorts

Hi - done lot's of research today and talked with our other two couples in our early 50"s that are all going for 10 days.

It's down to these three places if you could help with any info that would help us decide.

We will primarily be at the resort, maybe a day trip or two at the most. Seems as though most of the hotels are all lovely with beautiful grounds. So here are the wants:

Good beach & water without tons of rocks

Good food and drinks are important!

Ai without so many restrictions

#1 Barcelo Palace - not thrilled about the possibility of not getting reservations for service dinner, and other restrictions ?

#2 Catalonia Royal Tuluum - I totally get that this one is Adult only, not sure about the location?

#3 Secrets Capri - Adults only - dont know enough about this place at all

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pro's and Con's of these three specific resorts

Catalonia is probably our fave of the three. Small, adults only, on the best beach of the three, great food, Located just south of the Barcelo mega resort complex (a reason we don't favor it, plus the highest price). Some don't like Secrets Capri beach so read the trip reports. Cat beach is called Xpu Ha Beach. Very very nice, beautiful sand, nice easy snorkeling, romantic stroll/walk either way on the bay. Corona commercials filmed there. No other large resorts on this bay, just a few expensive small ones plus a small kite boarding operation, so it's very peaceful.

Another nice thing about Catalonia is it's lobby is close to the main highway, so it's easy to catch a collectivo to Playa del Carmen or Tulum, or many of the tourist places along the way (Xel Ha, Xplor, Xcaret, Akumal Beach, various cenotes). Other resorts have long access road from highway. So it's cheap to get around without a car/taxi.

Enjoy,

SeaBass

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pro's and Con's of these three specific resorts

Thank you! I was leaning towards that one also. The only thing I'm not crazy about is that there is smoking on the property. doesn't seem to be much of a problem from most of the reviews, so I'm not sure I would give it much weight.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,249 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pro's and Con's of these three specific resorts

Just realize that CRT is on a great beach, but the resort's frontage is very small - 120 yards or so

Thus crowded with beach chairs and people)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pro's and Con's of these three specific resorts

There is smoking all over, there were people smoking in the swim up bar at the Barceló both times we were there, but that doesn't really bother me. The Barceló also doesn't have a long walk to the highway, only a few minutes and we did it often with two little kids and they didn't mind since it was so close. It is a huge property though.

WV
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pro's and Con's of these three specific resorts

We have been to two of the three and agree with Sea Bass about CRT. We loved everything about Capri except the beach. Smokers were definitely more prevalent at CRT, possibly due to the Spanish ownership vs. American (US) run resort?

6. Re: Pro's and Con's of these three specific resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 06:20