We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Dorado Seaside or Catalonia Royal Tulum???

Fond du Lac...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
El Dorado Seaside or Catalonia Royal Tulum???

Planning a trip to the area in Late Sept. going into Oct. We have been to Cancun and Riviera Maya 10 times, prefer the area just north of PDC, but I have found GREAT deals out of Chicago for Catalonia Royal Tulum and El Dorado Seaside. Have been through the range of downtown Cancun dump (college) to Secrets Maroma, so know pretty much what to expect. 2 couples going Anyway...

needs

1 Adult only AI

2 Nice beach does not need to be perfect

3 premium international alcohol (captain morgan a must for the girls)

4 Nice dinner choices - prefer no reservations

5 nice BIG pools with swim up bars

6 tub in room

Thanks I have been reading reviews ALL day- once I think I have decided, something swings me the other way...this has been happening all day.

Fond du Lac...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Dorado Seaside or Catalonia Royal Tulum???

Now I am throwing in Valentin imperial and Secrets Capri

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Dorado Seaside or Catalonia Royal Tulum???

We have been to the Valentin and to secrets Capri twice each. They are wonderful. Great pool bars and both have captain Morgan. Out of those we like the Valentin a little more, slightly better food and beach. I do love the smaller layout of Secrets Capri though.

We just booked EDSS last week for 9 days September. Never been there before, but I got a deal I just couldn't pass up. We werent even committed to taking a trip in september as we were at the valentin in may, until we saw the price and had no choice! :-)

I have read about the expansion going on at EDSS, but everyone says it's not bothersome, so maybe this will be a one time visit, but it sounds wonderful.

I've looked many times at CRT but have never pulled the trigger. First there is no swim up bar (this is probably the deal breaker) and secondly I still am not sure i like how it's so narrow and runs way back away from the beach.

bayou lafourche la.
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Dorado Seaside or Catalonia Royal Tulum???

been to all four. crt had the best beach, then val. edss, capri. crt does not have a swimup bar. valintin would suit you best I believe.

Fond du Lac...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Dorado Seaside or Catalonia Royal Tulum???

Just booked El Dorado Seaside...The deal was just too amazing to let go by. $1760 total for 2 people for 7 nights - Jacuzzi suite with nonstop air from Chicago. That is half the price we spent last year and I am sure it won't be only half as nice!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,423 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Dorado Seaside or Catalonia Royal Tulum???

Nice price. Hope you enjoy EDSS. We hated it and couldn't wait to get out and go somewhere else. We also booked because we got a ridiculously great deal for it. It might be for you but not for us. Have a great trip and definitely use their spa - it is amazing -- the only thing we really liked about the place beside the Asian restaurant.

Fond du Lac...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Dorado Seaside or Catalonia Royal Tulum???

oh NO --Nevera what specifically where the problems??

bayou lafourche la.
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Dorado Seaside or Catalonia Royal Tulum???

we loved edss. we brought our daughter and husband and they loved it also. you will be ok. have fun.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,423 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Dorado Seaside or Catalonia Royal Tulum???

We found the place to be not the caliber of what we usually visit. The food was mediocre to poor, there were beach whales so no real swimming and we like to have a real beach not a make believe one, the room we had was dark and dank with the only natural light coming from the slider at the very end of the room, the drinks were watered down and yucky, the staff was so-so but not as customer oriented as lots of other places we have stayed at. Maybe we hit it at a bad time but it just didn't meet our needs. That isn't to say that others don't love it and enjoy it but it was not for us. For what we typically see the price of a room it is not any kind of a value. When you get a great deal it depends on your expectations and needs. It just didn't tick any of our boxes even with a great deal. We hope it ticks yours.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
593 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Dorado Seaside or Catalonia Royal Tulum???

do not worry, you will love the EDSS. We just returned from our third time there. The food is very good, they have top shelf alcohol. The rooms are great with very comfortable mattresses. They had bath robes and slippers in the rooms. The staff are very accomodating. They would get the chef to make things that weren't on the menu. The bartenders would make shots for everyone at the pool bar all day and would go and get chips and guacamole without being asked. Several of them remembered us by name from our previous visits and would come up and give us big hugs. Just treat them as you want to be treated.

karismahotels.com/HotelsResorts/ForAdultsOnl… You can check out the room and the restaurants. They have a PDF menu for each restaurant to look at.

10. Re: El Dorado Seaside or Catalonia Royal Tulum???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 05:19