We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November travel.. worried about hurricanes

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
November travel.. worried about hurricanes

My husband and I are thinking of traveling to one of the El Dorado hotels in November. Should I be worried about a hurricane? Which El Dorado should we stay at... can't decide. Budget of $2500 to $3000

Thanks!!!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,953 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November travel.. worried about hurricanes

I travel during the middle of hurricane season all the time and it doesn't worry me one little bit.

Check to see what the cancellation policies of your airline and resort are in the case of a hurricane and if you're not happy with that, then look into buying hurricane insurance. A caution with insurance though - most policies require the area to be under a bona fide hurricane warning - a hurricane watch or a tropical storm warning is usually NOT sufficient for the policy to kick in.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,004 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November travel.. worried about hurricanes

Go in March.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November travel.. worried about hurricanes

Hurricanes are less common in November than September or October. I would guess the closer to the end of the month, the less likely they are.

I don't hesitate to travel to the area during hurricane season. They really don't happen all that often.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,052 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: November travel.. worried about hurricanes

pretty rare in November

Wiki gives a good summary

November

Typical locations and tracks in November.

Wind shear from westerlies increases substantially through November, generally preventing cyclone formation.[16] On average, one tropical storm forms during every other November. On rare occasions, a major hurricane occurs. The few intense hurricanes in November include Hurricane Lenny in mid-November 1999, Hurricane Kate in late November 1985 (the latest major hurricane on record),[19] and Hurricane Paloma in early November 2008.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 00:15
5. Re: November travel.. worried about hurricanes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 06:17