We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best resort for large family with lots of small children?

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best resort for large family with lots of small children?

My family (husband and 3 girls aged 6,4 and 10 months) will be traveling to Mexico along with my sister and her family (husband and kids 2.5 and 10 months). We are looking for a place with great pools and calm beach for small kids and good food. An updated or newer resort is important too, we like nice rooms and comfortable beds. Ideally we would be 30 minutes or less from the airport. Ideally for our family we would spend $5k or less (coming from Minneapolis). Any ideas on resorts as well as great places to book? We have done Travelocity and sun country in the past but they don't seem to have any deals that really jump out right now. Thanks in advance!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best resort for large family with lots of small children?

The Beloved will be a perfect fit for you.

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best resort for large family with lots of small children?

Take a look at the Iberostar Paraiso resorts (Beach, Del Mar, Lindo or Maya) and also the Barcelo resorts further south.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best resort for large family with lots of small children?

Apple Vacations has a page for finding accommodations that can accommodate larger families. Even if you don't book thru them, it can show you which resorts have rooms that are big enough, and what the room type is called.

applevacations.com/familygetaways/…

Will the 10-month-olds be flying as lap children?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,568 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best resort for large family with lots of small children?

Full disclosure...I have not been to either of these, but here are my thoughts.

For that many kids, small kids, it may be nice to either have a swim up type room or a room with a plunge pool. The Paradisus la Esmeralda and Dreams Riviera Cancun come to mind for me. Since there are so many kids, and small ones that will need naps, you may find it convenient to have a small pool so close if the little ones need to nap in the room. Not sure if either of those would fit your budget.

I can also recommend the Iberostar Paraiso Maya or Lindo. The Barceló Palace may also get you what you wish for, however it is farther from the airport than the others mentioned.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best resort for large family with lots of small children?

A lot resorts don't allow children in swim up rooms, so you will have to double check that. Although further from the airport, the Palladium has suite rooms that will allow more room and has a kids club for kids 1 and up which may help. It also has calm water and a great beach. The Sandos Playacar has hacienda junior suites that has private pools in front of them so you can nap the kids while sitting on your terrace and the other kids in the pool or you. They also have a great beach and kids club for 2 plus.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,568 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best resort for large family with lots of small children?

I just remembered about a blog I read about the Azul beach by Karisma and the family swim up rooms. There is a large patio that has a gate with a "small child proof" catch so it would be safer than a swim up without such a protective barrier.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best resort for large family with lots of small children?

Your challenge is booking for 5. Many resorts won't allow a booking, regardless if the 5th is an infant. And you can't just book 4 & show up with 5...baby needs "lap child air" paid plus valid passport. Your sister's family should be fine booking 4 people. Might have to book air & hotel separately to avoid problems. Then maybe book hotel for 4 & simply show up with infant.

You didn't mention a travel date or season. Now through Dec 20 should be lower prices although I have not seen much reduction. Riv Maya is the #1 destination in Mexico, possibly the Caribbean, as shown by travel monitoring sources. Supply & demand keeps prices high now, then will be even higher Jan-April.

Best for you would be a 2-room suite or some room with a "close the door" separate sleeping area. Not many of those. You'll find lots of "junior suites" which means just a sitting area added onto the sleeping area...all in the same open space. This would make nap time & early night bedtime difficult.

When we were in that "nap/sleep" situation, we found Marina El Cid in Puerto Morelos. They accept 5 in a room, also offer 1-2-3 BR condo style rooms (although those might be out of your price range). Beds are comfy, resort is not a mega resort so you can find each other easily, food is good, extremely family friendly resort, great Kids Club for ages 4+. And it's about 20 minutes from the airport! Maybe the whole family can share a 3BR. Condo style rooms come with huge living room, kitchen, eating areas, huge balconies, yet you get all the bonus of the resort all-inclusive food & activities.

Even in low season, with air & hotel all-inclusive, $5000 total budget might be tight for a 7-night stay. It's due to ridiculous airfares of $800+per person nonstop, a little less if you take connection flights. But connecting really stinks with little kids or a large group. Try your best to get at least one of the directions nonstop.

I think the other mentioned resorts will price higher. Paradisus Esmeralda is highest end, Azul is also high, Palladium is 60+ minute direct ride from airport, Playacar resorts are 45 minutes although lower priced, Iberostar Paraiso & Palladium are "mega resorts". According to your original post, I think these wouldn't work for you.

Another consideration is renting a condo near/in Puerto Morelos where you could easily walk to town & restaurants...similar distance if you were in a resort walking to the main building restaurants.

Bye,

SeaBass

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best resort for large family with lots of small children?

I'd also suggest The Beloved Hotel. It is a smaller resort, beautiful rooms, 30 min. from the airport, calm beach, kiddie pool and play area, and 3 other large pools. Read my review for lots of into. This seems to be a favorite for families with younger children such as yours. There's not much to do at night, but with small children, you probably wouldn't be out late anyway. I'd email them about 3 children though. Then the other as already suggested, is Marina El Cid, less than 30 min. from the airport in the other direction. This is a very family oriented resort, but it is not as nice as TBH.

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best resort for large family with lots of small children?

Thanks for all the responses! We have traveled yearly tomexico with just our immediate family but I never thought adding a baby and pushing our family up to 5 would mean a lot of hotels weren't available to us so thanks for that note seabass. We definitely only will do direct fights (why we choose Mexico in the first place!) and we are going in march but can go wed-wed so that helps with flights significantly. Thanks for the recommendation on marina el CID, it is definitely in our price range and I'm interested in the condo option so will be checking that out. Thanks again!

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,568 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best resort for large family with lots of small children?

Let us know what you decide and how your trip goes. There are many people who post this same question so it would be helpful to know how your trip went.

Have a great time!