We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusive Adults Only

central NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
All Inclusive Adults Only

We are visiting Mexico in January 2014 (2 couples in our 50's) and have narrowed down our hotel choices to: Excellence Riviera Cancun, Secrets Silversand, or the Valentin. We all love the beach (to take walks on and swim/snorkel), the pools and swim up bars, good restaurants (with lots of choices for food), good cocktails, and entertainment daily/nightly. These 3 hotels are relatively close in price. Any recommendations/suggestions? Thank you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: All Inclusive Adults Only

If a great beach is important, I would eliminate ERC & SSS.

central NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: All Inclusive Adults Only

Why are the beaches not good? They look beautiful. Are they both unswimmable because of the rocks?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,210 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All Inclusive Adults Only

SSS is just all rocks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: All Inclusive Adults Only

SSS rocky, ERC often seagrass++

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: All Inclusive Adults Only

The beach at SSS is fine for walking on and lounging but entry into the water is tricky as there are lots of rocks. They try to make/maintain an area for entry and swimming but its a fight against nature. Also there can be a lack of shade since there are no palapas around the pool, only pergolas, and only palapas on 1/2 the beach.

Other than that I think SSS meets the rest of your list but if you want all 3 VIM is the better choice. You may want to pop into this thread tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g240327-i395-k6916… to ask Llisa comparison questions. She's been to VIM several times and is very knowledgable about the property and just returned from SSS so I think she could you give you a pretty good idea about the two.

nik

Edited: 22 October 2013, 15:02
Delaware
Level Contributor
772 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All Inclusive Adults Only

I've been to the VIM 3x, and the Excellence. While the Excellence is a beautiful property, and better personalized service then the VIM- I would definitely recommend the VIM if you are beach people. We love their beach, and haven't yet found a place we like better, and we've been to Secrets Maroma 2X.

The VIM is a more tropical/jungle feel with beautiful views from all around the resort. Pools are huge, with a quiet side and fun side too. Lots to do in the evening with live music in the plaza and theme nights. We found there to be more to do than the Excellence. Also offers many dining choices with no reservations needed, except for the Tempenyaki tables.

The VIM is a solid 4* resort-- and still one of my favorites.

Texas
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All Inclusive Adults Only

I've never been to ERC or SSS but also agree that if beach is a large priority then VIM should probably be at the top of your list. I've done enough research & seen enough pictures and videos to know that neither one of the SSS or ERC beaches pales in comparison to the VIM beach which is absolutely stunning. It's large, secluded, and has a huge rock free area with a decent sand bank and beautiful clear water...I can go 20' in when the water is to my chin and still see the flowers drawn on my toes. There are some rocky parts to it in one area but the property line is long so the majority of the beach is really nice. The VIM pools are also really fun, the main pool has 2 swim-up bars and tons of room, you never feel like it's crowded regardless of how many people there are. The food there is good, it's not our favorite for AI"s but there's 7 a la carte options and 24-hour room service not to mention the themed buffets they have certain nights of the week.

My husband and I also really enjoy the open aired Plaza that has live music followed by a DJ every night. They'll also bring in vendors a few nights a week so that you don't have to take a cab to shop for trinkets if you don't want. The service is decent for the most part (it can be hit or miss but VIM is usually a cheaper alternative for us so we go in expecting that). The ground are beautiful too, so many pretty flowers, etc. I can't really give an honest comparison but I can say that VIM shouldn't dissapoint.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All Inclusive Adults Only

SSS is a lovely resort and they have done a lot of work to the beach however, they can't change the fact that there is iron rock in the sea in front of the beach. I did love the ambviance of the resort, layout and rooms.

ERC is a very nice resort. My niece and her husband are on their eighth trip there. The sea and the sea grass is dependent on the time of year and any storms. The beach is deep and wide with plenty of palapas. If you PM Flip Flop Man, he will send you a link to his resort pics of ERC. He is a frequent visitor and likes the resort.

VIM is a nice resort but it has a large footprint. The rooms are very nice and although the beach is wide and deep with nice sand there is a limited area of the sea that has a sandy foot print and you can enter the water.

Food at all of the resorts is good but I think the food at SSS was better than VIM but, food is a subjective item. VIM does have a lot of activity at night and the Silver Suites have a nice layout with king size bed and are convenient to the center part of the resort where the restaurants and activites happen.

One thing that you may or may not know is that not all resorts heat their pools and the water can be cool in January. I can't recall if the main pool at VIM is heated but you could email the management to find out. SSS heats one pool (I believe) and I think ERC does also.

All of them are great resorts and I'm sure you will have a good time. You may want to go to Youtube to view the newest videos on the resorts or videos of the beaches and sea in January to give you an idea of what you could expect.

Keep us posted on your choice!

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All Inclusive Adults Only

We have been to SSS twice, VIM once and returning in 2 weeks and stayed next door to ERC (at DRC).

We love SSS and the "beach" is awesome, but getting into the water can be tricky - you need to be careful until you get out to the area that is clear. There were literally people in the ocean all day every day on both of our trips so it can be done.

ERC's beach is also great and larger than SSS, but the water does tend to be a little more brown in color versus the nice blue/green we all love.

VIM has a beautiful white, powder sand beach and a wonderful roped off (large) swimming area where the ocean floor is nice, hard packed sand under your feet.

Both SSS and VIM have great rooms, great service and great food in our opinion. VIM definitely has more top shelf liquor, but SSS is definitely a more FUN resort.

I have reviews of both if you are interested in reading them. My wife would choose SSS but I would probably choose VIM - however, we would both go to either in a heartbeat.

Have you guys ruled out SMB? It would definitely be tops over all three in our opinion.

10. Re: All Inclusive Adults Only

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2013, 17:00