We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Riviera Maya vs. Iberostart Grand vs. Valentin IM

Belfast, Maine
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Excellence Riviera Maya vs. Iberostart Grand vs. Valentin IM

I am planning a vacation with 2 other couples to either Mexico or the Dominican Republic, we are looking to go all inclusive. We want there to be lots of activities available but be able to relax when we want to also. The beach and water are very important to us we love to snorkel and swim. I have only done one all inclusive in the past and I dont want the typical buffett food, where everything tastes the same. These are 3 ideas that I have come up with, and the more reviews I read the more confused I am as to which one is better. Can anyone help or are there any other resorts I'm over looking?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Rosewood Mayakoba
Rosewood Mayakoba
#1 of 218 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#4 of 218 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
#1 of 28 hotels in Puerto Morelos
Belfast, Maine
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Excellence Riviera Maya vs. Iberostart Grand vs. Valentin IM

THanks for the info, I added wrong, the difference is $450 between the two.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,990 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Excellence Riviera Maya vs. Iberostart Grand vs. Valentin IM

How many days are you looking at? $450 difference for 6/7 days is a fantastic deal for the IBG over the VIM; for one or two nights, maybe not so much.

Belfast, Maine
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Excellence Riviera Maya vs. Iberostart Grand vs. Valentin IM

7!

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Excellence Riviera Maya vs. Iberostart Grand vs. Valentin IM

I would agree with the comments of the others. You can frequently find coupon codes for Orbitz that will reduce the prices on all three and some other providers (Funjet for one) will price match Orbitz if you don't want to use them.

For me the others usually price out within a few hundred dollars of the Grand due to having higher single supplements. In that past VIM was actually more expensive because of theirs.

I have only been to the Grand but have looked at the other two and came close to staying at the VIM this year but ended up finding a deal on the Grand for $245 a night that was hard to beat through Orbitz that my TA got Funjet to match.

Food is very subjective but I've always found the food at the Grand good to excellent. There have been some disappointments but I chalk that up to my trying new things and just not finding them to be to my preference rather than bad food. From following reviews and forums I think food is probably good at all three.

From the Grand you can walk south to Maroma beach and north some distance but there is no nearby town or other attractions.

Some other things to consider are whether you care about wearing wristbands and making reservations for dinner. You will need to do both at the Grand but not at the ERC or VIM. You can email in advance for reservations for your first few nights.

Also VIM is a larger resort and more spread out then the others with the Grand being (I think) the most compact. Although you also have access to the other 4 resorts in the Playa Paraiso complex and the shared commercial center as well so if you want to take advantage of the restaurants, bars, and other amenities you can.

If it were a $450 difference for the week I would pick the Grand.

nik

Mentioned in this post
Playa Paraiso
Playa Paraiso
4,196 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,214 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Excellence Riviera Maya vs. Iberostart Grand vs. Valentin IM

I have not been to the VIM, but to the Grand multiple times, and to Excellence Riviera Cancun once. If the price difference is under $500, I would jump on the Grand. There is simply no comparison with Excellence Riviera Cancun. And, of either Excellence, ERC is the older of the two (with Excellence Playa Mujeres being the newer one), and ERC when I was there a few years ago was showing its age.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 15:39
Mentioned in this post
Excellence Riviera Cancun
Excellence Riviera Cancun
13,837 Reviews
Puerto Morelos, Mexico
Excellence Playa Mujeres
Excellence Playa Mujeres
13,141 Reviews
Playa Mujeres, Mexico
Johnstown...
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Excellence Riviera Maya vs. Iberostart Grand vs. Valentin IM

This blogger is a fan of the Grand but did a trip to ERC a few years ago and posted a trip report and comparison on her site http://iberostarrocks.com/

If you go there and search you should find and it may or may not be helpful, IIRC she did not have a good trip to ERC. Actually I did the search here’s the link to just those posts iberostarrocks.com/category/…

nik

Belfast, Maine
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Excellence Riviera Maya vs. Iberostart Grand vs. Valentin IM

Thanks so much! I will look on her blog, looks like alot of info.. I really seem to be torn between the Valentin and the Grand, just because that almost $500 would be nice for some gifts and excursions.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,990 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Excellence Riviera Maya vs. Iberostart Grand vs. Valentin IM

Seriously Meg, for $450, I honestly think you would be crazy not to go with the IB Grand. As noted above, if the IBG isn't a steal, then the VIM is seriously overpriced.

Quit researching and book the IBG ........and this is coming from a dedicated VIM fan.

Belfast, Maine
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Excellence Riviera Maya vs. Iberostart Grand vs. Valentin IM

I would love to! The problem is the other two couples, as they have issues with the price...I'm trying to convince them.

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Excellence Riviera Maya vs. Iberostart Grand vs. Valentin IM

Orbitz has a 20% promo code CHEERS right now if you book a qualifying hotel between November 18, 2013 and November 28, 2013 11:59PM CST, for travel between November 18, 2013 and June 30, 2014, via Orbitz. It will only apply to the reosrt though and not air.

nik