We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice Please...wife does not drink.

Cadott, Wisconsin
9 posts
Save Topic
Advice Please...wife does not drink.

My wife and I are looking to go to Cancun, PDC, Cozumel or Jamaica for a week at the beginning of March for our first tropical vacation.

We want to sunbathe on the beach, walk lots on beaches, bike, snorkel and swim at pool. I definitely like drinks (mostly beer), but my wife doesn't drink. We don't need the party seen or tons of entertainment, but want good food and would love to be pampered on this first vacation without kids/twins. An AI resort seems tempting because we don't want to debate much over where to eat, etc....My wife will also want a great massage.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice Please...wife does not drink.

Check out resorts in Playacar. Great beach and easy walk or taxi to PDC. We are partial to the RIU Palace Mexico. There are also the RIU Palace Riviera Maya, RIU Yucatan, RIU Tequila, RIU Playacar, and RIU Lupita. For all things RIU check out riubambu.com. Enjoy!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,258 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice Please...wife does not drink.

You will likely overpay for an AI if you want beer and your wife doesn't drink

Snorkeling from the beach is better between Puerto Aventuras and Akumal

Perhaps Palladium or Barceló (large AIs so lots to choose from)

Edited: 10 January 2014, 02:50
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice Please...wife does not drink.

Not everyone books AI to drink IMO. I stick to club soda by day and wine with dinner, with an occasional martini. We choose AI primarily to have an adult only vacation.

Barcelo Maya Palace might be an option as this resort has a nice beach and good snorkeling and prices well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice Please...wife does not drink.

El dorado royale is a wonderful adults only with great food.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice Please...wife does not drink.

If you want to snorkel on site your choices are very limited. If you are ok with getting all of your other criteria met and then taking a snorkel excursion I would book a higher end adults only all inclusive where your pampering, massages and great food can be met. I have twins too so I understand the need to get away!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,682 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice Please...wife does not drink.

I agree with the suggestion of the Barcelo Palace, mostly because of the on-site snorkeling.

We were there in a February and there was no real 'party scene', although the main pool could get a bit crowded, but there is a quieter adult pool. Lots of families there at the time we went, it was school break week in many parts of Canada, though.

I have heard this resort can get a bit rowdy at spring break though, which is much of March....I would look at the end of February instead or early April (but never Easter week- crazy busy everywhere).

Cadott, Wisconsin
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice Please...wife does not drink.

Thank you. That sounds like a good plan. Any specific resort suggestions?

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
438 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice Please...wife does not drink.

Take a look at The Royal Suites at the Grand Palladium, the adults only section AI. The Palladium is a larger resort but you can make it as small or large as you want. Room to spread out since March is high season. I don't really drink either but feel I get my money's worth at an AI because I get to relax and be spoiled. The snorkeling at the resort is good and the beach beautiful. Akumal is a short 10 min ride away if you want more snorkeling or a quick outing.

Enjoy your vacation.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,258 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice Please...wife does not drink.

Crt - Catalonia Tulum Royal resort is near Barcelo. Small adults only but great beach and some snorkeling

Cadott, Wisconsin
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice Please...wife does not drink.

Thank you. It has been very helpful to read your suggestions.

Joe Z.