We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some advice about AO AI's needed after loads of research

Vantaa, Finland
Level Contributor
169 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Some advice about AO AI's needed after loads of research

Hi all,

I have been looking for a 5 star adults only AI in Mexico or Punta Cana in DR. I have been looking at the Iberostar Grands, Excellence resorts and Royal Hideaway mostly. My wife and I are 27 and looking for a relaxing resort with good food and facilities suitable for a wheelchair user. We dont want party atmosphere or loud activities, but high quality food (at least for an AI) and pleasant coctails at a beach bar. Some good shows would be fun too... Nice pools are a must because it's hard for my wife to get in the ocean and also sun loungers must be comfortable an cushioned. We also like lush and tropical surroundings but with modern ameneties.

I have been searching for the best rates for these resorts using Trivago and Cheap Caribbean. Any better sites you know of? Excellence Punta Cana is the cheapest by far, around 175 euros per night, ERC around 220, Iberostar Grand Bavaro and Paraiso and RH are around 250 I think. Oh yeah, going mid May for two weeks. I have been considering 1 week at 2 different resorts.

Any suggestions? For the price DR would be more affordable, but I've read that food is better at Mexico and we do love Mexican kitchen. I'm interested in any suggestions you might have about these or other resorts. I'd like to pay less than 3500 euros (around 4800 usd) for the hotel(s) for 2 weeks, the cheaper the better ofc :)

Any help is appreciated, we have never been to Caribbean or Mexico before.

Vantaa, Finland
Level Contributor
169 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some advice about AO AI's needed after loads of research

No ideas/opinions?

I think RH could be suitable for us, but am worried that so many reviewers say that the breakfast is bad. Breakfast is an important part of a good hotel experience for me so it would be really disappointing. Is it really that bad?

Almost all the top hotels seem to get complaints about how worn down and tired the buildings/rooms are. Is it so?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some advice about AO AI's needed after loads of research

RH is a very nice resort. It is not modern and glitzy and IMO the comments about rooms being dated have more to do with decor, as the resort is traditional. Beach is large and lovely. No swim up bar but this resort is known to have very good food and service. Not sure about shows as this is a not a resort known for nightlife.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,849 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some advice about AO AI's needed after loads of research

Will-Jam,

RH is a lovely resort, but has limited shows in the evenings and there may be resorts with better pools. We stayed at the IB GrNd in PC and, off the top of my head, I am thinking it would be good for wheelchair accessibility and was great. Lots of evening shows, too. The IBGP might be a great option too, with larger pools, very comfortable loungers, etc. it is a large, spread out resort if this is a factor. Because resorts in Mexico do not have to follow standards like those in the US as far as accessibility, I would check directly with any resort before I booked. Good luck!

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,849 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some advice about AO AI's needed after loads of research

Also, having stayed at both, I prefer IBG to Excellence and think it is in a higher class.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,849 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some advice about AO AI's needed after loads of research

One more thing...sorry. Just saw on the Punta Cana forum that there is a current thread comparing the 2 IBGs. Thought you might want to take a look.

Vantaa, Finland
Level Contributor
169 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some advice about AO AI's needed after loads of research

Thanks for the replys. I'll take a look at the IBG thread, thanks for the tip. I think the IBG's might be most to our liking. The entertainment and size in RH wouldn't probably be that much of an issue as it's so close to PDC, although I think that if going to a more isolated location, a spread out resort would be preferable.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,543 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some advice about AO AI's needed after loads of research

We have been to the Grand Paraiso 4 times and really love it. I think it would be a good option for you and your wife. There are 3 pools: main large pool, tranquility/quiet pool, and also the spa pool which technically is indoors, however they do retract the roof on nice days.

I do not think the Grand is a large resort. Aside from the ocean front rooms, the other 3 buildings where guest rooms are located are in very close proximity to each other (they are all connected) as well as they are all connected with the lobby and restaurants. The walkways at the Grand are all covered and easily manageable.

I actually think the Grand is pretty compact and with just over 300 guest rooms its not a large resort in Riviera Maya standards.

But, if you do wish to stay ocean front or if you wish to visit the commercial center at the Iberostar Complex or visit one of the other 4 resorts in the Playa Paraiso complex, one of the Grand's bellman can take you in a golf cart.

Edited: 13 January 2014, 13:41
8. Re: Some advice about AO AI's needed after loads of research

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 06:19