We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yucatan Peninsula Tour

West Mids
Level Contributor
88 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Yucatan Peninsula Tour

Hi All

My wife and I are planning a trip in November, Sat 8th approximately, for a couple of weeks. We want to see some ruins, some nature sites and cenotes and then have a week of beachside relaxing.

I've done a fair bit of investigating and reading up, some great advice on here! So have come up with an approx itinerary that I would welcome some comments and suggestions on it, to see how realistic it is or if there are any other sites we could fit in during the touring part. Would also welcome recommendations on the accommodation options:

Day 1

Hire car for 2 weeks, ferry to Isla Mujeres and overnight

Day 2

Isla Mujeres tours and siteseeing

Day 3

Travel to Valladolid hotel and Chitchen Itza light/sound show and overnight in Valladolid

Day 4

Chichen Itza by 8am, cenote nearby?

Onto Merida and overnight

Day 5

Celestun Flamingo Park and hopefully light/sound show at Uxmal then Merida overnight

Day 6

Uxmal/Kabah then travel onto a Tulum beach hotel

Day 7 onwards - Tulum beach front

How does that look, thanks.

Mercanti Viaggi
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours
Explora Mexico Riviera Maya
Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
The Custom Tour by Rod Ratner
Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yucatan Peninsula Tour

Sounds very busy for the week. You will likely find that Isla Mujeres is one of the best beaches and destination on your trip, no wa one night would be enough, Same with Merida it is easily worth 3-4 days. We like to go inland 1st upon arrival that go to Tulum for a week then to Isla from our final week. Inland travel is very busy then we chill in Tulum then finish with Isla which is just right. others may have a different opinion though. I am not a big fan if Chchen Itza it is so commercialized with 100's of vendors lining the perimeter and path of the site. One visit will be enough, however you should consider Coba closer to Tulum (great couple hour diversion while staying in Tulum) Also Ek Balam Near Valladolid Both those sites allow you to climb and touch the ruins.

Keep in mind the Cenotes nearCI are very busy and often crowded with bus tours so they will not take up much time. The Cenotes near Tulum much better not do commercial.

If you are only going for 2 weeks I would keep it all in the coastal region as there is so much to see and do there Chichen and coba both 1/2-full day side trips. Saver Merida for your next trip that will allow tyou to plan better what and where you really want to spend your time.

The Tulum ruins are very worthy as well haever very crowded like CI.

Coba is our Favorite

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,217 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yucatan Peninsula Tour

I would save Isla Mujeres for the back end of the trip. If possible, head to Valladolid for the first night. Next morning, go to Ek Balam and check out the Dzitnup/Samula cenotes near town. See the town the rest of the day.

Next day be at C. Itza at 800 AM when it opens. Vendors will not be a problem then. When done, head over to Ik Kil cenote about two miles east. If you can find out when it is less crowded...go then.

Then onto the Merida area for a suitable stay.

When you get to Tulum, visit the Tulum ruins, Coba ruins and whatever other cenotes/attractions work for you.

Drive up to the Cancun area and turn in the car then spend time on Isla Mujeres. Use a transfer service to get to the ferry.

Note: Staying in Valladolid or by C. Itza or both one night is personal preference. I might do the latter.

Consider getting the Mayan Adventure map/guide from

Edited: 13 January 2014, 02:14
West Mids
Level Contributor
88 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yucatan Peninsula Tour

Thanks for the input folks, maybe I'm trying to fit too much in so I'll have another go and run it by you again if that's ok

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yucatan Peninsula Tour

Do not rent a car and then head to Isla. Start off to Vallalodid on the first day. Stay overnight there for a visit to Ek Blalam (and Chichen Itza if you must.) Do go to Uxmal and enjoy the other nearby sights. - Kabah, Sayil & Labna. You can overnight at Uxmal or a B & B in nearby Santa Elena. Then head back to Tulum. The Coba ruins are a short drive from Tulum as a day trip. You can see cenotes alon this route or another trup from Tulum. If you want to hit Isla at the end return the car and tak ea transfer or cab to the ferry for the final nights.

West Mids
Level Contributor
88 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yucatan Peninsula Tour

Right, finally had time to look at this again, with all suggestions considered and plenty of additional research we've now come up with an itinerary which, whilst busy for the first week, still seems doable for us:

1. Sat 8th Nov - check in or go straight from airport, Chichen Itza light show visit, Valladolid overnight.

2. Sun 9th - Ek Balam ruin, Dzitnup cenote. Valladolid overnight.

3. Mon 10th - Celestun Flamingo Park, Merida overnight

4. Tues 11th - Uxmal ruin, Merida town, Merida overnight.

5. Weds 12th - Kabah ruin, then Sayil/Labna if time. Onto Tulum overnight.

6. Thurs 13th - Tulum Ruins and day on beach, Ana y Jose beach club? Tulum overnight.

7. Fri 14th - Coba ruin on bikes then Aktun Chen caves and cenote if time? Tulum overnight.

8. Sat 15th - Yal Ku Lagoon, then head north for a week in Playa del Carmen to relax!

Sounds better?

San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yucatan Peninsula Tour

You seem to do a lot of backtracking, I would probably do this:

1. Valladolid , after obtaining hotel visit the ruins at Ek-Balam and or Cenote Dzitnup overnight Valladolid...

2. 8AM Chichen Itza then on to Merida, overnight Merida

3. Visit Celestun the continue to Uxmal, overnight Uxmal

4. Visit Kabah, Sayil and Loutin Cave. overnight in Oxkutzcab.

5. Visit Mayapan, Izamal and Chichen Itza light show...overnight Valladolid...

6. Visit Coba and continue to Tulum Ruins, overnight Tulum...

7 Visit Playa del Carmen and continue to drop car off then take a taxi / ferry to Isla Mujeres for the rest and relaxation part of your adventure...........

7. Re: Yucatan Peninsula Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 06:16