We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs into Mexico?

Regina
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Customs into Mexico?

My parents recently traveled to Puerta Vallarta. When they arrived they were asked about cigarettes and they declared they each had 2 cartons (internet indicates, people over 18 are allowed 20 packages). They were charged $75 USD for the extra cartons. Has the amount changed to 1 carton each or 10 packs? We're traveling to Cancun on Feb 8th for 19 days and I just wanted to check prior to going over our limit.

I appreciate any feedback that can be provided.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,846 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs into Mexico?

I believe new limits were introduced on December 5, 2013 but can't seem to find an official source regarding tobacco. If I can track one down, I'll post a link here.

Regina
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs into Mexico?

Thank you that would be greatly appreciated.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,726 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs into Mexico?

According to his article, the duty free limit is 20 packs of cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco. Looks like some items changed but not tobacco.

yucalandia.com/answers-to-common-questions/…

Regina
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs into Mexico?

Hi,

Thanks for the link. I guess it did change on Dec 5, 2013. Pasted this from the site:

11.Passengers over 18 years of age, may bring in a maximum of up to 20 packs of cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco and up to three liters of alcoholic beverages, and six liters of wine. Items in excess of the above cannot be imported without complying with applicable regulations and restrictions.

Thanks again

5. Re: Customs into Mexico?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 06:19