We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help choosing a resort for honeymoon in August

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Need help choosing a resort for honeymoon in August

Hello everybody!

I would love to get everyone's opinion about choosing a resort in Mexico based on the following details:

My soon-to-be-wife and I are planning to go on our honeymoon in August of this year. We are looking for more R&R than partying but don't mind being at a busy resort as long as we can retreat to our rooms. We would like a decently sized room with a nice ocean/sea view, private plunge pool, and a nice furnished terrace to be able to enjoy meals on. We do plan to spend a good portion of our time in our room so privacy is very important. I'm not gonna lie, I do like the idea of a double shower and a jacuzzi but it isn't a deal breaker...I mean it is a honeymoon afterall ;)

Pool area is not that big of a deal to us but we would like a nice beach, and by nice I mean fairly clean sand and clear waters with ample loungers and daybeds to relax on. Water activities would be nice too, such as snorkelling, sailing, kayaking.

For meals we would like variety so that we don't get sick of the same menu (esp fiance, she can be a picky eater) but we don't want to sacrifice quality for quantity. Room service is important so I would like a resort that includes that...I guess I should mention that we want an AI resort and we prefer AO also.

We would like themed nights and/or nightly entertainment with at least a couple bars to hang out in and socialize. Activities would be nice but again, not a deal breaker.

I have been doing some extensive research and have been actively going through the TA forums. I will give you and idea of the rooms/resorts I have been looking at;

Infinity Jacuzzi Suite at El Dorado Maroma - not sure how private the plunge pool is though

RTT at Excellence Playa Mujeres - since we are going in August Im worried about rain making the terrace useless...and the pool is more like a tub

Oceanview Penthouse at The Beloved - not much in terms of night life and limited dining options.

Patio Suite at Blue Diamond - again, limited night life and dining options..also the layout of resort isn't ideal but its tolerable but I must say the suite is spectacular

I know I have a fairly specific list of requests...I can't help but want to make the honeymoon perfect. Everytime I feel like I've found the resort I read something that makes me think twice about it lol.

I am not sure how much it rains during the month of August...if it helps we are planing on going in the beginning of the month.

I am open to any suggestions of other resorts...our budget is between 6-7k for flight and room for the both of us.

Hopefully the TA members can help me bite the bullet and pick a resort

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help choosing a resort for honeymoon in August

<Infinity Jacuzzi Suite at El Dorado Maroma - not sure how private the plunge pool is though>

We love EDM and the one bedroom oceanfront suite with infinity pool is quiet, lovely and our favorite.

<RTT at Excellence Playa Mujeres - since we are going in August Im worried about rain making the terrace useless...and the pool is more like a tub> Yes, a big, plastic tub and we never used it. We did not care for the food, wine, beds at EPM and beach was major disappointment. We will not go back.

<Patio Suite at Blue Diamond - again, limited night life and dining options..also the layout of resort isn't ideal but its tolerable but I must say the suite is spectacular>

Great rooms, luxe beds, fabulous bathrooms. But, dining and nightlife are too limited for us and the beach is just too far away.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,937 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help choosing a resort for honeymoon in August

How about an OF room at IBG. They are supposed to be fabulous. It doesn't have a plunge pool, but will have a jacuzzi on your balcony. I think plunge pools are overrated, and don't like them, but I know sometimes you have to try them for the first time and decide for yourself.

IBG will have better food and a better beach than EPM. It will have better included wines, and generally be a more sophisticated and pampering resort experience for a little higher price tag. Worth it, if you can afford it for your honeymoon, imo. The beach in Playa Mujeres is not a good beach. The Beloved allows children, which I would not want on my honeymoon.

I love EDM, but it's very quiet. The beach is fantastic, they do have lovely bars, and it is really a peaceful retreat. I love that they have a pool with swim-up bar, but few people actually in the pool as compared to the drunken party-scene pool main you might find bigger resorts. I think EDM is a very romantic place for a honeymoon, but you need to be sure you want that level of quiet. If not, consider IBG. I understand their food has improved a lot recently as well. We stayed at the IBG in PC, and would gladly go to the one in Riviera Maya.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,568 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help choosing a resort for honeymoon in August

Just to clarify, not all of the ocean front rooms at the IBG have jacuzzi's on the balcony. Only the ones on the corner of the oceanfront buildings minus the 2 presidential suites...or I think there is two presidentials, 1 in each oceanfront building. Anyway, the only way to guarantee that you will get a corner ocean front with a Jacuzzi is to purchase from a tour operator that can offer you that specific room, or through the resort itself. I believe though that with your budget you will be able to get that corner oceanfront.

There is a Jacuzzi in each bathroom of the Grand. Two can fit in that one although its not terribly large. The showers are not that big so not sure if two will fit in there. I doubt it.

I feel weird with all this shower and Jacuzzi talk, but wanted to clarify the earlier post and its stuff you mentioned.

FWIW, we do love the Grand. Went for the first time for our honeymoon in 2008 and have been back a total of 4 times now. We fell in love with it.

You should be fine as far as rain is concerned. Typically in August, its a short shower and then gets back to hot and humid really fast.

Three of our Grand trips were in August/Sept and we never had trouble getting a palapa at any hour on the beach and have been very pleased with the service.

I will say that while we have been happy with the food at the Grand, and it does seem to get better each trip, the room service menu is lacking.

You wouldn't see me at The Beloved on my honeymoon but only because its not adult only.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 18:35
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help choosing a resort for honeymoon in August

Thanks for your quick replies.

I should apologize..my use of abbreviations probably gave the impression I know a lot of them which I don't..i picked up a few of them from reading the forums. Is IGB Iberostar Grand? I checked out the resort but it seems a little too large for us...the only reason I was even considering EPM was because the RTT was a fairly large room where I felt we could retreat to most of the day.

I think right now I am leaning towards EDM. We do prefer the smaller resorts as we feel the service will be more personal. Can anyone answer some these questions about the Infinity Jacuzzi Suites and EDM in general?

1) How deep is the plunge pool in these suites? Is the pool covered? Can you still use it if its raining? Are other rooms in direct sight of it?

2) Is there an outdoor shower with this suite?

3) Do all the suites have an ocean view?

4) Is there a resort map?

I know this question can't get an accurate answer but in general, how is the weather in August?

Are there other resorts that may fit my requirements, preferably smaller resorts (<150 rooms)?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help choosing a resort for honeymoon in August

Our plunge pool was about 4-5 feet deep. We had two large terraces, one facing the ocean, and two bathrooms. Our terrace was very private.

Our pool was covered and we used it all the time, unusual for us as we normally do not. We have not stayed in the regular infinity pool suites but those pools are not all covered.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 20:08
Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,568 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help choosing a resort for honeymoon in August

EDM seems really quiet and romantic...perfect place for a honeymoon. If you are looking for a small place I think EDM fits the bill quite nicely.

Most of our Mexico trips have been in August and none have been ruined by rainy weather. Typically its hot and humid. There may be a short shower that moves in and exits quickly and then the weather returns to hot and sunny.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help choosing a resort for honeymoon in August

We often travel to MX over Labor Day weekend. Generally the weather is hot and humid with afternoon thunder showers - just like here at home. The ocean is normally wonderfully warm for swimming and pools just right.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,937 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help choosing a resort for honeymoon in August

If you are looking for quiet, you can't go wrong with EDM. Also, no wristbands or dinner reservations. It's a wonderful resort. I only offered IBG because I got the sense you might want more going on in the evenings. I loved our stay at EDM!

Texas, thanks for the clarifications about the IBG OF jacuzzis. Good to know!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
12,512 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help choosing a resort for honeymoon in August

You might want to look at the Royal Suites Yucatan at the Palladium. While the Palladium is a large complex, the Royal suites area consists of 130 suites, Jr suites and Mayan suites tucked away from the rest of the resort. It is an adult only VIP resort, exclusively for the use of the Royal guests. There are double jacuzzis on the decks of the suites and Jr suites and a large outdoor shower in the Mayan suites. The RSY have room service, a private gourmet restaurant for their use only, a beautiful reserved section of a white sand beach with waitservice,free access to the beautiful spa and in addition can use all areas of the other four resorts which would give you a variety of evening venues and other restaurants. The rooms have been recently updated. There are a few with a distant ocean view.

palladiumhotelgroup.com/media/sorl-cache-phg…

…photobucket.com/albums/…jrsuiteroyal2.jpg

Also:

Butler service and 24-hour room service.

1 Buffet-style and A la carte restaurant and 2 Bars for the exclusive use of guests staying at The Royal Suites Yucatán by Palladium.

9 A la carte theme restaurants with a great selection of cuisines.

5 Buffet-style restaurants and other open-air services.

26 Bars located around the complex.

VIP beach area with Bali beds and waiter service.

1 Private pool with built-in jacuzzi and waiter service.

7 Freshwater pools and 1 Seawater pool.

Shuttle golf cart service within the complex.

First-class Spa & Wellness Center.

Sunset Boulevard Discotheque.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
12,512 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help choosing a resort for honeymoon in August

I meant to add that we were there in November and had a fair amount of rain. We found some of the Bali beds in the Royal beach area are covered and can be used in the rain as well as the jacuzzi on the decks and the spa. Good luck with your choice.

…photobucket.com/albums/q727/anneoncapecod/A…