We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Mexico with Minor Children

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Mexico with Minor Children

Could someone please clarify something for me?

I understand that the Canadian government ADVISES that minors traveling with only one parent carry a consent letter from the other parent, preferably notarized.

My travel agent just informed me that a notarized letter from the other parent is a REQUIREMENT of the Mexican government. Recent changes to Mexican Emigration laws seem to suggest that this is not accurate:

embamex.sre.gob.mx/canada_eng/index.php…

Can someone please clarify this for me? I know it is a good idea to travel with a consent letter, it is a good idea to have it notarized, but I want to know if my travel agent is correct when they tell me that it is a requirement.

Thanks so much!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,260 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Mexico with Minor Children

Check this site. It has info for Americans and Canadians. We usually had a letter when we took a friend for our daughter. She once needed it to re-enter the US.

…about.com/cs/carplanetips/a/crossborders.htm

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Mexico with Minor Children

There is no longer any requirement for Mexico at all - however your own country may well ask for a consent letter.

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Mexico with Minor Children

I did take a letter along because I felt that it was better to be safe than risk any issues that might arise. However, I was never asked to show any documents. Why take a chance?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,260 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Mexico with Minor Children

It also concerns me should any health issues arise. One of my daughter's friends had a minor health issue and she was calling her mom when I could easily have handled it, which I eventually did. Just cover your bases.

Edited: 11 February 2014, 00:30
Ontario
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Mexico with Minor Children

Steve - that is exactly what I wanted to know and confirms my research. I don't really appreciate being misinformed by my travel agent. Makes me wonder if there are other things I should question. Thank you.

Ann - thanks for the link. You're always so helpful.... no matter what forum I am on! lol.

I have always carried a notarized travel consent and have never been asked for it by any border official - anywhere. I know it's a good idea to have one, but I also like to have factual information when I travel.

BC
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Mexico with Minor Children

Yes, you are wise to question other things your travel agent might tell you. This is a very big peeve of mine, how they pass along wrong information and act like they are experts.

You might show your agent your link, which is the proper, current Mexican government position. They need to be up to date. Never really on other bits of info, like the other link given in reply number 1.

7. Re: Travelling to Mexico with Minor Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 06:18