We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help! First timers from the UK

Doncaster, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
Hotel help! First timers from the UK

Please help, really need some hotel advice. Looking to travel in December for 10 nights(2 adults, 2 children ages 4 & 6). Think I have narrowed it down to the Barcelo Palace or Iberostar Lindo. I love the look of the Barcelo waterpark and beach but the Lindo appears to have more going for kids( ice cream parlour, carousel etc). What does anyone else think? We love a nice beach and food which both seem to have.

Also what about the Moon Palace in Cancun? it has also been recommended to me but will it be as good for kids? Thank you.

Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel help! First timers from the UK

My choice would be Barcelo palace. We stayed at Barcelo palace and Iberostar Maya (sister property to Lindo). Reason i would pick barcelo over iberostar is food and layout.

Some considerations that may be factors for you: barcelo does charge for room service, barcelo does not have palapas on beach, but rather palm trees, which requires moving with the sun, iberostar really cant snorkel from the beach like you can at barcelo.,

I have not stayed at Moon palace, but have friends that have. It is huge resort and beach not as nice. The beach is a factor for me. That is big part of why I go to Mexico.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel help! First timers from the UK

I appreciate that not everyone shares my view on such things but since they built a dolphin enclosure at the Barcelo Maya, NOTHING could induce me to stay there.

Not preaching, just putting the info out there so people can make an informed decision.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel help! First timers from the UK

You may want to check out the Grand Palladium Resorts. It is a wonderful resort, with on site snorkeling from shore. They have just put in a new kids water park and they serve hard ice cream at a couple of the bars near the larger pools. They also serve various flavours of soft serve ice cream in the buffets with various toppings, so people can make their own sundaes. When we were there, we noticed the kids really enjoyed doing that. The Grand Palladium offers so much more bank for your dollar too, while the Barcelo likes to nickle and dime you for little things. I too agree with Lisa's post above. There is nothing that make me want to go back to the Barcelo Maya since they recently put in that dolphin pool/prison. Please read up about how this is animal abuse for these highly intelligent and family oriented animals, before you decide to this activity. This is not an educational at all, but is only there to bring in $$$$ to the owner and manager of this company and also to the resorts that host.

Edited: 17 March 2014, 22:53
Edmonton, Alta.
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel help! First timers from the UK

There is also the Dolphin area at Moon Palace -which you can swim with the dolphins using your resort credits. I stayed at Moon Palace last year & we did the swim with the dolphins. The dolphins are treated very well and they are born in captivity. Of course, this is just my opinion as is the above posts.

Moon Palace has lots to offer bother children & teens. Moon Palace Sunrise area has a new deli/ icecream bar plus Nizuc section has a brand new Irish/British pub with Guiness beer on tap.

5. Re: Hotel help! First timers from the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 04:20