We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip with the Grandparents

Boston...
Level Contributor
323 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Trip with the Grandparents

We'll be staying in Akumal (at the Hotel Akumal Caribe) in December/January for 10 nights. My parents-in-law, both 72 years old and relatively in shape for their ages (they don't "exercise" much, but walking isn't a problem, and they're both generally healthy) will be joining us for 5 full days of the trip. I'm trying to plan an itinerary for their 5 days that they will enjoy - they usually only do packaged tour travel, and they definitely think of this trip as "adventurous"! I want to have a good balance of relaxation and activity... Can you all look at my two current itineraries, and tell me what you think? If you like itinerary #2, I would love your thoughts re: a good day trip for day 3!

Right now, this is what I'm thinking:

Itinerary 1 (a little more relaxing):

Day 1: relax on the beach in Akumal

Day 2: beach in the morning, then Rio Secreto, then evening/dinner in PDC if we feel like it

Day 3: Yal-Ku Lagoon, lunch at La Buena Vida, afternoon on Akumal beach

Day 4: guided day trip to Chichen Itza (father in law is a history buff!) w/ stop at Ik Kil Cenote

Day 5: relax in Akumal

Itinerary 2:

Day 1: Yal-Ku Lagoon, lunch at La Buena Vida, afternoon on Akumal beach

Day 2: beach in the morning, then Rio Secreto, then evening/dinner in PDC if we feel like it

Day 3: SUGGESTED DAY-TRIPS that the in-laws are likely to enjoy?!?!

Day 4: guided day trip to Chichen Itza (father in law is a history buff!) w/ stop at Ik Kil Cenote

Day 5: relax in Akumal

Edited: 20 March 2014, 21:07
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,096 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip with the Grandparents

You're hired! Sounds good to me.

Boston...
Level Contributor
323 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip with the Grandparents

Thanks, Fresno! Any thoughts as to which "itinerary" you would prefer??

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip with the Grandparents

Have you asked the "parents-in-law" what they would prefer? Might be a good idea. :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
323 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip with the Grandparents

I know! Honestly, I don't want to overwhelm them... We've sort of had to "talk them into" doing this trip with us, and so I just want it to be "easy". I'm making all of the reservations, etc., and I was thinking that once I have it all worked out (air tickets booked, etc.) I would actually put it all together in a lovely folder -- including packing lists, pictures, and everything! ;-)

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip with the Grandparents

rent a golf cart for them for your Yal-Ku trip

I vote for the 2nd one

Edited: 21 March 2014, 02:16
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,096 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip with the Grandparents

And Day 3 let them decide. They may just wanna repeat Day 1. I would.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip with the Grandparents

I'd ask them about Rio Secreto, looks kind of strenous to me (60) and what if one of them is claustrophobic? Maybe take them to Xcaret instead?

Also another nice place to visit is the beaches in Tulum, only about a 20 minute drive or taxi ride south of Akumal - ruins could be optional. Go to one of the beaches on the south end of the Tulum hotel zone, I like Ziggy's Beach Club at Cabanas Tulum and you can use their lovely beach beds and loungers as long as you are eating and drinking there. La Zebra is nice, but their hotel guests get first crack at the loungers, so you may or may not be able to use them depending on occupancy.

Good choice with Hotel Akumal Caribe, rooms were just redecorated in September, have stayed there at least 7-8 times or more (lost track).

If you go to La Buena Vida, give some thought to the botanero platter, large enough to share with 2-3.

8. Re: Trip with the Grandparents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:20