We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination wedding resorts

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Destination wedding resorts

Hi all..

I was looking for some feedback about nice resorts to get married at next year. I've never been to Mexico and could definitely use the advice. I've been looking at websites but it gets a little overwhelming and i noticed many resorts are adult only. We have children traveling with us. We also need budget friendly to accommodate everyone in our group. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Erin

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination wedding resorts

The first thing to consider (IMHO) is whether or not you'll be happy using services (photographer, florist, etc.) provided by the resort. If that's the case, then you can start looking at your other criteria but if you want to bring in outside vendors, you need to look at resorts that are conducive to that. (Some resorts don't allow outside vendors at all, others allow them but make you pay an arm and a leg for the privilege.)

When you say "budget friendly", it would be nice if you could quantify what that means to you. And since few posters will have much idea about what airfare costs from your part of the world, if you could give us a price range for just the hotel, that would be very helpful.

Tying into the cost factor is knowing what time of year you're looking at. Resorts that may be within budget in September/October may be wildly out of reach during high season.

Finally, knowing a bit more about your other preferences is also useful. Not all resorts in this area have great beaches and some resorts are located somewhat remotely. If you want to be close to (or in) town, we need to know that sort of thing so we can make recommendations that are on point.

Now, without knowing ANY of the foregoing, I would suggest you look at the Rius in Playacar. They're more budget friendly than many other choices, have great beaches, are close to town and they're NOT adult only.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destination wedding resorts

Our son is having a destination wedding at the hard Rock Punta cana next January. The resort has 1700+ rooms and is certainly big enough for weddings. Also they have been very helpful blocking estimated amount of rooms and with wedding advice. Also if enough rooms are booked a lot of services are free like wedding dinner and reception and open bar.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Destination wedding resorts

Iwill definitely look into the above mentioned resorts...thank you! We are looking around the end of September next year and are hoping for all inclusive at no more than $1200/person because it will be hard on guests. I am not planning to hire vendors from outside the resort as we need to keep cost down... We alone are a family of 5 so even just tickets will require a lot of saving in our household. Thanks again!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destination wedding resorts

I don't want to burst your bubble but are you sure a destination wedding is right for you (and your guests?).

I have seen numerous posts on these forums over the years from people who either want to attend a destination wedding or feel obligated to attend but the reality is that they really can't afford it. I can't help but think that inflicting financial hardship on wedding guests is the last thing the happy couple would want.

Whilst it might not be cheaper for you, maybe holding the actual wedding locally would allow those of your less affluent friends and family to attend and then have a religious or symbolic ceremony in Mexico with those who can afford it in attendance. (This will also circumvent having to conform with the legalities of getting married in Mexico which aren't that onerous but are something to consider.)

Of course, I have no idea of the financial situation of any of you or your guests and absolutely don't mean to offend you or anyone else. I'm just throwing the idea out there with a view to being helpful and constructive.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 18:17
Southern California
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Destination wedding resorts

Agree with Llisa, destination weddings are very costly, I'd have a hard time coming up with that amount of money for my own granddaughter. When I was in Akumal last week there was a large wedding (93 people) all staying at a small non-AI resort so if you wanted any service you had to avoid their group and go elsewhere which can be a bit of a nuisance. Fortunately most of them left the day after the wedding.

There are also as Llisa mentioned, a lot of legalities such as blood tests, translation of documents. Much better to get married and home and just have a symbolic ceremony in Mexico.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Destination wedding resorts

I would recommend looking at best destination wedding forums. I am a destination bride too and I got most of my information from the forum boards there. I am actually going next week to look at two resorts to make my final decision.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Destination wedding resorts

I had a destination wedding in the Mayan and I have planned many over the years. They are very easy and if you are using the resort's services, very hassle free. We did a civil wedding there (legal) and the forms are easy and the blood tests took a whole 5mins. They came right to the resort and all these resorts have wedding coordinators that take very good care of you.

Some resorts you may want to look at in your price range at that time of year would be The Palladium (any of them), the Bahia (Tulum or Coba since I hear Akumal may become an adults only, but am not 100% sure of that), Grand Sirenis or one of the Iberostars (Del Mar, Beach, or Lindo as I think the Maya would come in higher).

When you have a destination wedding, you just have to go in knowing some cannot afford it and be totally OK with that. We were (my sisters didn't even come) and I loved it. We had a great time and beautiful memories with those that made the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Coba
Coba
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
8. Re: Destination wedding resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 09:17