We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resorts

Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Resorts

Valentin Imperial or Secrets Capri?

New York
Level Contributor
289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resorts

I think most would say VIM and not having been to Capri yet I'd probably agree...VIM is amazing!!! However we are going in February and during that time of year the VIM pool to just freezing! So...since we are pool people, we went with Capri. I think we will love it from what I've read but it also sounds like VIM is just a bit better. When are you going?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resorts

What is important to you? Hard to recommend without any info on the type of resort you are looking for.

Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Resorts

We are going next August, but booking it next week. It's a group of 16 people some singles and some couples. Beach, quality of food and entertainment is important.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resorts

For a group trip, especially if singles are traveling with the group, Id say VIM. Capri is small, and I always think of it as quiet and more couply.

Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Resorts

I was leaning towards VIM, but my travel agent thinks the Capri would be the better choice.. Thanks for your input..

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,460 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resorts

Has your travel agent been to either .... or do they just get a larger commission from AM Resorts?

Sorry to be cynical but I seem to have seen a rash of posts lately regarding clearly inept travel agents. Just yesterday, I was talking to a friend whose numbut travel agent booked her (non-refundable, of course) on a connecting flight to Cancun. Said travel agent didn't bother to mention that a non-stop was available if my friend travelled a day earlier or a day later. (My friend has specifically said that she preferred non-stop flights and that her dates could be flexible.)

Aaaaaargh!

/end rant.

To answer the OP's question, I vote for the VIM for a group too.

Edited: 19 August 2014, 15:51
Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resorts

Llisa, I was thinking the same thing!!!!!

I would call the agent and ask specifically why they think Capri would be a better fit. Really makes no sense to me.

Edited: 19 August 2014, 16:15
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Resorts

My agent hasn't been to either, but stated she gets good reviews from customers whom she has sent to Capri. IMO I feel the resort is too small and a large group like us won't be able to spread out on the days we would like to..oh!! She also said Capri has the nicest beach out of the resorts she recommended, which are EL Doraldo Royale, Capri and Valentin..

Edited: 19 August 2014, 16:36
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,202 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resorts

Jennie,

I have only been to one of the 3 resorts you are looking at (the EDR) but wanted to say that you clearly need to FIRE your travel agent! If you feel the Capri is going to be too small for your group, it will be...she is clearly NOT good at listening to her client's wishes (end rant from me too - sorry, I worked in the travel industry a lifetime ago)!

The beach at the VIM is going to be the best out of the three (by far)....we stay just down the beach at the El Dorado Maroma. I am sure others will chime in who have been!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,460 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resorts

"The also said Capri has the nicest beach out of the resorts she recommended, which are EL Doraldo Royale, Capri and Valentin"

Your agent is flat out wrong. There's no way the beach at Secrets Capri is better than the one at the VIM. Maybe it was at one time but given all the erosion, it isn't now.