We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malapascua to Moal Boal

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Malapascua to Moal Boal

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to travel from Malapascua to Moal Boal in one day?

I,m also interested in staying at the Cocobana hotel in Malapascua but can't find an email address anywhere and texting my reservation and questions doesn't seem a good idea. Has anyone an meail address from the hotel?

Hope someone can answer my questions.

Thanx

Rachèle

Dublin
Level Contributor
43 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malapascua to Moal Boal

Hi did you do this trip? I have the same question re malapascua to moalboal without going back to cebu - is it possible?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,890 posts
1,993 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malapascua to Moal Boal

Unless you are travelling at peak times such as Christmas, I would be tempted to turn up and book when you arrive.

It is possible to travel from Malapascua Island to Moalboal in one day.

The bangka (small boat) from M.I. to the Ceres Bus departure point on Cebu takes 45 minutes; including layover time and an allowance for heavy traffic in Cebu, the bus to the North Bus Terminal should take six hours or perhaps a tiny bit less.

You would then transfer from North to South bus terminals: allow 45 minutes although I have not done this.

Cebu to Moalboal on another bus may take two and a half to three hours, so all up yopu may be looking at roughly 11 hours.

Start early at say 0730 if you can. The cost will be minimal, the scenery interesting except within the Cebu metropolitan area and the experience tiring but worthwhile.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malapascua to Moal Boal

Thanx for your answer, but is there no direct way/road to travel from Malapascua (once you're on the mainland) to Moalboal? Do you have to travel via Cebu City? On the map it looks like there's a road, but I know maps can be deceiving.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,890 posts
1,993 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malapascua to Moal Boal

boomcha, if you had a private car or hired a taxi your trip would be faster.

However neither will be available in Maya, the small 'port' at the northern tip of Cebu that takes one to or from Malapascua. You could hire one or the other in Cebu, but you would need to garage the rent a car at Maya or pay the taxi driver to hang around at Maya while you holidayed at Malapascua - neither option is realistic for most travellers.

Ceres Line buses depart Maya frequently. They do an average speed of about 45 kilometres an hour outside Cebu, but if the traffic is bad in Cebu the average speed can drop to perhaps 10 to 15 kilometres an hour if that.

Then again, traffic can be bad in Los Angeles, London, Sydney, Bangkok, Melbourne - so take it as it comes.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malapascua to Moal Boal

Ok. The resort offers chauffeur- driven car hire (from Malapascua-Maya-Moalboal), but they are quit expensive. But I gues it's worth to pay extra for this, than to travel to Cebu city first. At least I know now that it's not possible to just rent a car once in Maya (that was plan B :) So thanx again for your reply.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,890 posts
1,993 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malapascua to Moal Boal

boomcha, yes I agree. You should be able to cut down the time significantly.

You will hopefully find Malapascua as wonderful I did: try to do what I did not, and walk around the whole island.

Moalboal has a fairly good reputation but does not have white sand beaches throughout, except I gather at its (eponymous) White Beach. However it attracts growing numbers of European tourists because of its diving.

How much is the resort quoting you for a car with driver from Maya to Moalboal?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,153 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malapascua to Moal Boal

I can't see the attraction of Moalboal itself. But it is near Kawasan Falls. So if you are going to Moalboal. make sure to visit Kawasan Falls too. Check this picture.

bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/gallery/…

i have been to Malapascua Island 3 times. There is only one bus choice from Maya, if you don't get off, it takes you all the way to Cebu City.

I have no experience travelling to Moalboal from Maya but I am 99% sure that if you get off before the bus heads to Bogo, you will be able to just travel down the west coast of Cebu on one or a series of jeepneys and perhaps even a single bus. However, I was just looking at my Cebu road map and I don't believe the saving in distance will be worth the stuffing around trying to get down the coast.

There are regular busses to Cebu City and there are regular busses from Cebu City to Moalboal. I personally would just stick to that.

Or, if you would prefer to travel in comfort, you could contact my former driver for a quote. Danny Noy was my driver when I ran tours of Cebu City. His website is here:

cebutaxiservice.com/reliable_cebu_taxi_drive…

Regards: Jim

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malapascua to Moal Boal

@Victorianlad, The resort charges 90 euros for 2 persons. So i'll guess we go by private car. Can,t wait to visit Malapascua and i'll try to walk around the island :)

@ Big Jim, we have to travel to MoalBoal as our divingsafari starts there. The Kawasan Falls are already on our 'to do' list :)

Thanx again for your tips and advice

Boomcha

9. Re: Malapascua to Moal Boal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2009, 14:09
Dublin
Level Contributor
43 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malapascua to Moal Boal

I did this in one day on public transport, getting a taxi between north and south bus terminal in Cebu. It went fine. But I suggest you leave Maya 1st thing in the morning. Took 4 hours + the terminal change + 2.5 hours.

Get answers to your questions about Malapascua Island