We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photos - Situation in Malapascua now (after t storm Yolanda)

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Photos - Situation in Malapascua now (after t storm Yolanda)

Hi everyone,

After seeing many inquiries from tourists on the ground situation in Malapascua, I decided to do some background checks.

Here are a few webpages of locals who have posted photos of Malapascua as it is now. Hope this will be helpful for visitors -

Do note : In all storms in Philippines, trees fall, nipa (thatched roof) houses break / fly away - that IS the way the met department defines category 1-2-3 storms.

"Normal"for a Filipino and "normal"for a first time visitor are 2 completely different things. Again, the definition of "normal" differs in different parts of Phils.

Also, what each tourist comes to a particular place is different, hence one size (and description) rarely fits everyone's needs.

Do let me know if you have any specific questions - despite my recent operation, my memory still serves me right and I can recollect how Malapascua looked before the storm, so some photos may not really be showing you things too different from the way things were, while others may truly be showing you debris.

1) Photos of Malapascua - updated 15, 16 adn 25 November (yep - day b4 yesterday!) - http://www.sea-explorers.com/blog/

2) Ocean vida is already partly open (expected to be fully open by 20th Dec) - sea-explorers.com/blog/…

3) Photos of Malapascua - DO note that these are NOT resorts, but houses made of wood and nipa. Brick structures DID NOT fall / break - sea-explorers.com/blog/…

4) These photos seem to give a more objective picture - scubatechphilippines.com/scuba_blog/…

(Note that all the brick structures are standing - it is their roofs that have got blown off.)

5) Malapascua exotic dive resort is already half on its feet and has repaired msot of it's structures - https:/…

6) Aabana resort Malapascua is busy in aid - but their structures seem largely untouched -

https:/…215049335179779

(Those who have lived in Phis for long will tell you that these photos are commonly seen every year.)

A friendly note : While I am sure most people outside Phils will feel like helping out here, avoid giving donations to people other than official bodies who actually DO good work. Most aid money that comes into our country goes into the pockets of individuals.

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Photos - Situation in Malapascua now (after t storm Yolanda)

I don't really know what to do anymore.

We schedule to go there on the 26 of December.

Should we cancel or go as planed?!

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photos - Situation in Malapascua now (after t storm Yolanda)

@ Asi,

It depends on WHERE in Malapascua you have booked yourself to stay.

a) Where have you booked? What is the name of your resort?

b) What does your resort say?

In my opinion, during Christmas, every one - yes, including in Malapascua, will make sure they enjoy themselves - I have seen this over the past few years during natural calamities. Now, that refers to the people. As far as the facilities there go, we can guide you a bit if you answer the above 2 questions...

Edited: 27 November 2013, 06:26
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Photos - Situation in Malapascua now (after t storm Yolanda)

Me and my family have booked a vacation on Malapascua Garden Resort from December 17 and will be staying for a week. Do you know anything about the resort and the damage?

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photos - Situation in Malapascua now (after t storm Yolanda)

@ Fredrik

As per the resort website, they were not much affected save for a few blown off roofs (whcih in all probability must have already been repaired) and of course a few fallen down coconut trees.

malapascua-garden-resort.com/taifun-typhoon-…

Their facebook page says this (2 weeks ago) - Thank God that our guests and resort team survived and nobody got hurt. We started already to repair the damage in our resort (2 roofs are gone and others somewhat damaged). There is no electricity and internet on the island at this time, therefore is our resort closed in November. We hope that we can open again in December.

https:/…281097585260895

Since Malapascua garden resort is a proper brick and cement resort (not nipa hut / wood based), I don't think it is so much affected. If I remember right, it is closer to Logon beach - In all probability, it will be good for you when you go there. Just write to them and they will honestly tell you

Louisville, Kentucky
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Photos - Situation in Malapascua now (after t storm Yolanda)

I was very sorry to hear about the damage Typhoon Yolanda did to Malapascua Island. A friend and I were looking forward to staying at a backpackers hostel on the island for New Years. Since we haven't been able to get in touch with anyone at the hostel we decided to cancel our reservations. I have the option of extending my reservation at a hotel in Cebu City. But, I was hoping to get away from the city and spend some time on a beach away from heavy tourist crowds. I've been searching the forum to find out which places will be up and running by New Years. It seems that a lot of the island areas I am interested in suffered severe damage. I'm looking for recommendations for budget friendly places to stay, hopefully within walking distance of the beach. I would like something either on or within half a days travel from Cebu City.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photos - Situation in Malapascua now (after t storm Yolanda)

Becca,

Malpascua is almost flatten during the typhoon. They are badly damage. Anything that is not made of concrete has been blown off.

However certain resorts are open though they may not fit your budget.

Which accommodation did you book?

I understand that Tepanee is operational. You can view beautiful sunset from its location.

I encourage you to reconsider your decision not to visit Malapascua. It is a lovely island.

If you need another island, Siquijor may suit you.

Louisville, Kentucky
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Photos - Situation in Malapascua now (after t storm Yolanda)

Thank you for yor reply mousehunt. I had booked three nights at a backpackers hostel called Villa Sandra. But, I have not been able to contact them. Do you know how Siquijor faired after the storm, I haven't turned up much information on it as far as hotels go.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photos - Situation in Malapascua now (after t storm Yolanda)

Siquijor is not affected by the typhoon.

For Malapascua, can you try to contact Hilteys Hideout Homes <hilteys.office@yahoo.com>?

Hilteys Hideout Homes is definitely rebuilding and they charge a reasonable rate for their room, slightly higher than Villa Sandra.

However I do not know are they ready during your travel date.

Malapascua is a very idyllic island. As of now, it is my favourite island.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photos - Situation in Malapascua now (after t storm Yolanda)

@ Becca

Villa Sandra is mostly a concrete (brick ) structure, hence I don't think it would have suffered much. Most places which were affected were places made of wood / nipa (a local variety of trees similar to coconut).

Their roof must have got blown off, and must have already got replaced (that is normal in places in Phils where typhoons hit - often an annual ritual)

Hence I will repeat what MH has said, and advice you to stay there. The beach at Malapascua is still as beautiful as ever.

You may find it useful to try to get in touch with them on facebook (In Phils., most people access their facebook accounts far more than email). This is their fb page -

https:/…VillaSandraMalapascua

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
26 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Photos - Situation in Malapascua now (after t storm Yolanda)

Hello all!

I have an American friend that is a scuba instructor living in the Philippines. Her most recent update was they are slowly getting internet in some areas, and land lines.

If anyone is interested, I can answer some of your questions. However, I just signed up and I'm not sure if I will be active during the Winter holidays. If there is enough interest, I may direct my friend here to this forum.

Here is a short article I wrote about my friend and Typhoon Yolanda:

dyingtotravel.com/should-i-go-to-the-philipp…

Edited: 21 December 2013, 12:33
Get answers to your questions about Malapascua Island