We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should you not forget to take with you ?

Which Kalamaki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Havant,Hants
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What should you not forget to take with you ?

Zante/Kalamaki is obviously a place where people holiday and go back to time and time again.....so here is a question for everyone to advise us first timers......in your experience what should you take with you that you just cannot find on the island (wit permissable but no smut please as I've led a very sheltered life !)

Serious contributions would be most welcome.

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What should you not forget to take with you ?

You really can get everything that you can at home but its more expensive. Jungle Mozzie spray or cream for the nights just in case, being as its mid May a jumper or thin jacket for the cool nights but i wouldn't go loading up your cases with things from the UK its really not worth it, maybe just your tea bags for duration of holiday but you can get tetley, PG tips etc out there.

Havant,Hants
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What should you not forget to take with you ?

Thanks Kev....already packed my Yorkshire Tea Bags but what about Long Life milk ? I'm probably stupid but I thought perhaps the greeks only had goats milk ?

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What should you not forget to take with you ?

You can get fresh milk, UHT milk, goats milk and soya milk, they have the same as any corner shop in the uk except yorkshire tea bags haha,

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
4,976 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What should you not forget to take with you ?

Frosted shreadies are hard to find on the island,but as kev said you can get almost everything but it is very expencive compared to home.I get a lot of my shopping from lidl to last me two weeks and save a few bob this way.

the resort shops really do charge way over the top.

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What should you not forget to take with you ?

Don't i know it pete. Oh for somewhere that sells large boxes of frosted shreddies, the proper ones not a cheap version.

As Pete has said there is a Lidl just outside Kalamaki or if your going to Zante town just on the edge of it is a huge EuroSpar or a greek supermarket called Dia which is also reasonable.

Edited: 04 April 2010, 15:52
Havant,Hants
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What should you not forget to take with you ?

Thanks Zantepete.....being diabetic I'm not really allowed frosties but I do sometimes cheat. As i expected from hints from Kev at the oceanic you are confirming that food prices are over the top compared to UK.....maybe I will lose a bit of weight because I do tend to have a healthy appetite ! Appreciate your input.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
566 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What should you not forget to take with you ?

Don't forget your European health insurance card (E111) there free. Please use this link

https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do

You should receive it with 7 days

WARNING THERE ARE COMPANYS AND LINKS THAT WILL CHARGE YOU.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What should you not forget to take with you ?

Why would anyone want to eat Frosted Shreddies (which are probably bad for you!) when you can breakfast on fresh fruit and amazing bread warm from the bakery, etc. etc? (And that's cheap, too!)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What should you not forget to take with you ?

IME sun tan cream. Yes you can find it everywhere, but at the prices its at, you start thinking if skin cancer might be more affordable.

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What should you not forget to take with you ?

Hi Nikoletta, i live on Zakynthos for 7 months of the year so its a treat that i have Shredded frosties as 95% of the time i eat the local food and lots of fresh meat, veg and fruit.

Joe i think most people by now know the sun causes skin cancer and take cream with them from the UK where it costs considerably cheaper.

Only products made localy are cheap all imported items are expensive.

Get answers to your questions about Kalamaki
Recent Conversations