We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Icelandic curse

Havant,Hants
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The Icelandic curse

Never mind the volcano....I think I'm gonna erupt soon ! Little more than 2 weeks to go and the airports are in chaos. Is there anyone on Zante currently trying to get back to Blighty ? If so what's happening out there ? Have any of the pre-booked apartments, hotels etc not seen any arrivals last weekend and is there going to be any kind of backlog forcing folk to delay their holidays by a week or two ? I'm wondering how long I should sit tight before getting in touch with Thomsons.....being diabetic and on insulin this could present serious problems for me, with limited shelf life for insulin and the possibility of travel delays etc. What is also worrying is the financial implications when there are stories already of people paying out thousands of pounds in travel and extra accommodation ! What happens when you can't lay your hands on that kind of money ? And would anyone notice if one of the pedalos went missing from Kalamaki beach ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Icelandic curse

You don't have to worry about your insulin - if your flight is affected, your airline will advise you to stay at home, rather than camp at the airport. They don't want you there unless they can put you on a plane and ship you out.

Assuming you get stuck in Greece, if you fly on a EU airline, they have to provide accommodation and meals for you, so no need to have thousands of pounds to keep a roof over your head and food at your table. If you've booked a package holiday, check where you stand before you fly out, as travel insurance is unlikely to pay up. Presumably you have a E111 card (or whatever it's called these days) in case you need treatment while you're out there.

P.S. Lucky the UK is (still) in the EU ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Icelandic curse

The holidays to Zakynthos from uk don't start till the 1st May, Dutch holidays to the island were meant to start yesterday but none came in.

Also a travel expert said this morning that holidays that are still valid and can fly they will get first priority over delayed or cancelled ones.

Edited: 20 April 2010, 20:35
Mentioned in this post
Zakynthos
Zakynthos
Ionian Islands, Greece
north wales
Level Contributor
182 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Icelandic curse

Hi John im due to fly out on the 3rd if this flipping thing ever stops erupting! Although im not worried about the flight being unsafe I am a bit concerned about the possibility of it going off again while we're in Zante (assuming we get there in the first place) or worse still it causing Katla to erupt. We could find ourselves stranded like the thousands of poor souls currently. I would quite happily postpone my holiday at the moment if that was an option, I booked through First Choice so I know I would get a refund if they were forced to cancel so I'll just have to wait and see. As for your insulin im sure you would be able to get an emergency supply if needed although the stress will probably do nothing for your blood sugars! Heres hoping everythings back to normal and soon!

Havant,Hants
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Icelandic curse

Thanks Tinsey....I've got the E111 and travel insurance and i'm sure it will be ok but you get this nagging feeling that the tour operators are keeping very quiet about all this. I think I will contact Thomsons if there is no positive news by this weekend. I would rather go a week or two late than take risks.

Havant,Hants
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Icelandic curse

Thanks Kev , perhaps you could keep us posted if there is any more news

because logic suggests that there might be a knock on effect on the accommodation side if people are having to delay till a later date. That news about the Dutch whilst what you would expect is also an early indication of what could stack up.

Havant,Hants
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Icelandic curse

Thanks Karen....I'm sure you are right about package deals being cancelled by the tour operator will be fully refunded but i intend to check on the same refund if the customer should cancel or postpone on reasonable grounds. I feel that this situation currently exists because people are not going to feel that they want to be put at risk under present circumstances. We are going with Thomsons (same as First Choice) so if May 3rd turns sour I would be grateful to hear what happens. I'm sure it will be ok by then so good luck.

north wales
Level Contributor
182 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Icelandic curse

You too John, keep me posted if you do contact Thomson I would be interested to hear what they say.

Havant,Hants
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Icelandic curse

Hi Karen

see what the power of our minds can do ? Somebody sensed that the troops were getting restless, and the natives revolting, and hey presto you switch on the news and all the airports are open again ! have a great time in Zante.....is this your first visit....it is ours and I'm definitely in the holiday mood now ! Yippy ki yay ! Have a brilliant time !

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Icelandic curse

I hope it all works out for you guys.

We are not going to greece until June so hopeing everything will have sorted it self by then and the volcano will have stopped.

There was an english man on the irish news a couple of nights ago who was stranded in greece last week. He made his way to Italy, through europe, got the ferry to Cork in Ireland and was then hoping to get back to the UK from Ireland!.

I think I would have stayed in Greece :D

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Greece
Greece
Europe
Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Icelandic curse

The travel expert i watched was basically saying anyone who's package holiday flight which has already passed will have to reschedule their holiday after compensation if any as it was an act of god.

Any delays of up to 48 hours will still go ahead but the holiday will be cut short by whatever delay you have so there will be no back log at hotels all dates will still be as booked.

Anybody who's holiday left the uk before the problem and their return flight is after the ban they will still get first priority to return before passengers who's flights should have already left.

I think thats about it from what he was saying.

Get answers to your questions about Kalamaki
Recent Conversations