We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bitzaro grande/ sickness bug?

north wales
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
bitzaro grande/ sickness bug?

Hi

could someone please advise me please, been looking at the bitzaro grande hotel on here and a couple of people have mentioned a sickness bug they have caught whilst staying there in the last couple of weeks, is it just this hotel or is it viral and in every hotel,

thanks

england
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: bitzaro grande/ sickness bug?

we are also going to the bitzaro grande ,we are travelling with my 6yr old grandson ,all this talk about a sickness bug has put us right off .can anyone say anything positive to put our minds at rest

Formby
Level Contributor
93 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: bitzaro grande/ sickness bug?

I will be travelling to the Bitzarro on 21st July (Graham Sproston) so I hope it has gone by then. I have stayed at the Bitzarro 5 or 6 times before and I can assure you it will have nothing to do with the hotels hygiene as the maids are constantly cleaning the hotel from top to bottom all day long. I think that the best tip is to make sure that you and your grandson wash your hands with warm soapy water (not cold water). This will not kill the bug but will wash it away and reduce the chance of catching or indeed spreading it to others. It sounds simple but an airbourne bug will have more chance of being passed on from one family member to another rather than from a stranger/friend. This is because the main way to contract this sort of bug is if you are in the immediate vacinity of the person who is actually being physically sick (ie if you are looking after a son/daughter, wife/ husband etc) or if someone has just had a bout of diarrhea. Anti bacterial handwashes will not work as they will kill bacteria but NOT kill a virus hence you should not take antibiotics as these will also be useless. Bleach is the most affective way to rid the bug. Wipe down all commonly touched objects like door knobs, faucet handles, light switches, toilet flushers and seats etc.

Hope this helps. If not at least the entire hotel will be spotless and smelling of bleach when I arrive on 21st July !!!!

Graham Sproston

Edited: 09 June 2011, 20:51
england
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: bitzaro grande/ sickness bug?

thank you so much for your comments . its good to here something positive from someone who has been to this hotel before .yes i agree bleach everything !!! should be able to buy some there should'nt i ?

thanks once again best of luck on the 21st !!

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: bitzaro grande/ sickness bug?

We're also due to stay here 20/06. Feeling a little aprehensive due to the negative reviews, however, this hotel has never really had any negative reviews before so it's prob just a one off bug. All the reviews say how clean the hotel is (even the negative ones) so it prob is an airborne thing which can spread thru any school/workplace/hotel like wildfire!

At the end of the day, you can get poorly anywhere abroad, it's unfortunate yes, but I wouldn't let it ruin my holiday. I'll be going fully armed with enough medicines to rival boots the chemist just in case!

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: bitzaro grande/ sickness bug?

the supermarkets are well stocked with bleach :) Seriously though just make sure your hygeine is good and hope you didn't pick something up on the plane which is a haven for airborne viruses. Sometimes you just can't avoid the odd bug...if it hits keep well hydrated and ride it out...not nice on your precious hols but could just as easily happen at home.

Bristol
Level Contributor
317 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: bitzaro grande/ sickness bug?

I have never stayed here and I appreciate people are worried but it appears that you don't need to be as the htoel comes across well run and clean.

As some have mentioned, regularly washing hands in warm soapy water is important before eating and clearly some don't do this which is a shame. But for very small amount of money you can buy anti bacterial hand gels that fit in a pocket which we use before and after eating particularly with kids. You can even buy kids gels and make a game of it if you have kids and my two love rubbing their hands with the gel. They keep it in their backpacks and are used to using them all the time.

Just a suggestion as it will help keep some bugs away.

Mitch

Gloucester
Level Contributor
94 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: bitzaro grande/ sickness bug?

The hotel actually has hand gel in the restaurant dotted around for use by the guests as does the reception and snack bar areas. We also bought some from the supermarket across the road which is also very well stocked with all manner of cleaning equipment should you want to buy some!

I'm sure that you will all have a fabulous time. These type of bugs are normally self limiting, it's all just been unfortunate.

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: bitzaro grande/ sickness bug?

Oooh, I never go anywhere without plenty of hand gel! - even in the uk!!

I'm sure it will all be ok - there's nothin like a bit of scaremongering on tripadvisor to worry people! Remember, that is only THEIR opinion. You have to judge it for yourself :-)

co durham
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: bitzaro grande/ sickness bug?

Thank goodness, it looks like the bug has gone, no more reports.

So sorry for the people who got it :(

30. Re: bitzaro grande/ sickness bug?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 20:19
Get answers to your questions about Kalamaki