We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek food guide

Which Kalamaki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
stana1966
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Greek food guide

Going to Zante for the 1st time on June 1st but haven't been anywhere in Greece for over 20 years.......Been to Corfu, Crete, Skiathios, Rhodes and Cyprus but was a lot younger then and wasn't very adventurous with the Greek food so would like a quick reference to what's in the main dishes. I have read on here about the Kleftiko being lamb which I love but would like to try some more dishes if possible.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,816 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek food guide

Have a look at these links:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_dishes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_cuisine

Bon apetit !

Edited: 28 March 2012, 22:06
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek food guide

My fave is kleftiko, but last year I went to Kos and some chefs now put cheese, potatoes and veg in with the lamb. I like the basic lamb on the bone, lots of meat and tasty flavour. I heard Hera in kalamaki does the original.

Stifado is beef cooked in a tomato based sauce with sweet little onions, normally served with rice or sometimes a block of melted feta on top.

Last time I went to Greece I also had a pasta based dish, bit like a lasagne but thicker and tastier. Might have been called (Pastitsio or Pasticcio)

Then there's Moussaka, layers of veg and meat.

Souvlaki - meat kebabs with veg on too, served with salad, rice normally and yoghurt dip. Love them.

They also do your basic dishes of roasted meat with rice, veg and potatoes. Of course sea food, basic salads, English dishes (but really, why would you choose that over Greek food) and other pasta dishes.

Oh also a note on desserts, try the Baklava Pastry (Baklavas) it's like a nutty sweet parcel - gorgeous.

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek food guide

all the above are great and very tasty. My lunch time staple is greek salad and for starters grilled feta or for a naughty starter the saganaki which is fried cheese. Paolos in kalamaki does a dish called beef zakynthos which is chunks of braised beef in a sauce, mouth wateringly good :)

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
4,983 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek food guide

Im very advenerous with food.I have a full English brekkie each day for lunch.Strange i dont have a fried breakfast here at home,only when in Greece.I do love the Greek food at night though especially the lamb kleftico.

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek food guide

Lots of info on the subject in this very comprehensive website about all of Greece:- http://www.greecetravel.com/index.html

Swinton, United...
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greek food guide

Try the beef Zakynthian at Michaelos in Kalamaki. No contest.........

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
569 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greek food guide

Try the beef Zakynthian at Michaelos in Kalamaki. No contest.........

Good Choice, however I prefere the Dias version :)

Ian

Edited: 28 April 2012, 21:27
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greek food guide

Gigantes: Large butter type beans, baked in a thick seasoned tomato, onion and garlic sauce.

Keftethes: Fried meatballs with garlic and herbs.

Stifado: A meaty red wine stew with baby onions and tomato. The meaty chunks are soft and tender and the baby onions go soft and sweet

Sofrito: Tender beef steak cooked in a garlic and wine sauce.

Prawn Saganaki: a rich creamy dish with king-size prawns, feta, tomato and a little garlic.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Greek food guide

See this too: www.tinyurl.com/greekfoodanddrink

10. Re: Greek food guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Kalamaki
Recent Conversations