We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Kalamaki too quiet?

Which Kalamaki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hull
Level Contributor
238 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Is Kalamaki too quiet?

Hi,

I posted on both the Greece and Zante forums a few weeks ago. We're hoping to book a late deal to Zante for this Summer. I looked at Kalamaki a few years ago, and very nearly booked to go there. The thing that put me off was that I was worried the resort was too quiet for us.

We're a young couple, and I am struggling to find a resort with the right balance. I don't want somewhere loud, full of night clubs, stalls selling glowsticks, that sort of thing, but at the same time, we do like a large choice of places to eat, like a cocktail or five, and this is why I am a bit worried about Kalamaki.

At the minute I am stuck between Tsilivi and Kalamaki. We're on a tight budget and accomodation does seem to be better value in Kalamaki but I am worried we will be bored. During the day we're happy to lounge around on a nice beach or by the pool, but we do like to do a few trips too, have a wander round shops/markets. On a night as I say we're pretty chilled out, but I don't want to be returning to the hotel at 10pm every night bored.

Does Kalamaki sound like it would be too quiet for us? I know Laganas is nearby, but we are on a budget so can't afford to be spending a fortune on taxi fares.

Another thing that concerns me is prices in resort. I have never visited any of the Greek Islands as quite a few people have told me they find them expensive. What are prices like for meals and drinks? We are hoping to stay self catering so a rough idea of supermarket prices would be fab too.

Thanks!

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
4,986 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Kalamaki too quiet?

In answer to your first question Kalamaki sounds perfect.There are music bars.Kareoki bars,chillout bars, sports bars,bars with quizes etc.And a wide variety of restaraunts to choose from.And if you find you are spending a little less than you thought then a wild night in Laganas is just a ten euro taxi away.I would say Tsilivi has a few more bars but i think it is a little dearer than Kalamaki overall for prices.

For eating out you can get a good meal for two for around 25 euros with wine and even cheaper from the specials boards.And you can allways have gyros meal even cheaper still.Do as some peaple do and pack some tea bags biscuits coffee cerials etc. if you can find a little extra room again saves you a little as the local supermarkets are dearer than home.There are lots of trips to go on which can be booked through the local travel offices on the main strip.Prices im unsure about this year.There are no markets and only tourist type shops in Kalamaki only in Zante town but you could allways catch the bus there ane back as its not far.During the day you can lounge around your own pool or use one of the many other hotel pools and the beach is fantastic to catch the rays and have a swim. A beer is around 2.50 euros to 3 euros and cocktails 3.50 to 4 euros.Compared to drinking and eating out in the UK zakinthos is far cheaper,and rememebr we are getting the best exchange rate for years.Lastly what your friends say about Greek island is true with the exception of Zante regards being dear.A friend of mine worked another island last year and chilled end of season for a week in Argassi,Zante and he could not believe how cheap it was compared to where he had worked.Why this is i dont know but we are returning twice this year and will get even better value due to the euro exchange rate.Hope this helps with your choice and certainly not a glow stick stall in sight.

UK
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Kalamaki too quiet?

I agree with everything Pete has said, but have you thought about Argassi. I'm sure you'd find it as good as Kalamaki. Its not as spread out as Kalamaki but has a good choice of bars/restaurants etc without having to walk around so much. The beach isn't as good as Kalamaki but it has some really good beach bars with FREE sunbeds to chill during the day.

Argassi is also the nearest resort to Zante town for the shops etc & is within easy walking distance or there's a "tourist road train" runs back & forth during the day/evening

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Kalamaki too quiet?

The advantage of Kalamaki is that if you find you want to get a more lively evening out then all you have to do is pop along to Laganas.

Hull
Level Contributor
238 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Kalamaki too quiet?

Thank you very much for your reply. The information is very helpful.

We have visited Turkey a few times and meal prices do seem about on-par with what we were paying there last year. It also sounds like there are cheaper meal options available too which is a good thing. Last year we quite often just had bread and dips for lunch if we had spent a lot the previous day.

I'm glad you've told me about the supermarkets been expensive. I have got a list together of food to take already but didn't want to fill my suitcases if prices were cheap there.

Are there plenty of places around to buy things like fresh bread and meat for sandwiches?

Thanks again

Hull
Level Contributor
238 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Kalamaki too quiet?

I had thought about Argassi. In fact to begin with I had a huge list of resorts (I am determined to finally get to a Greek Island this year but I had no idea which one!). The thing that put me off was the beach. We do enjoy the option of the beach if sun beds around the pool are taken.

The free sunbeds things has just made me reconsider though... thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Kalamaki too quiet?

All the supermarkets do bread , meat & cheese etc as thats what most people buy for diy snacks etc. Most "local" produce is not too bad pricewise but most of it has to be transported from the mainland so that pushes the price up a bit. They sell quite a bit of "British" products but they are a lot more than at home so those are the things to take if you can. We always go self-catering but find that its nearly as cheap to eat out (& nicer!) & if you check round you can get some good deals with free wine etc or 2 for 1 deals etc. As Pete said a gyros is a good snack option & add a portion of chips etc & you've got a good meal for a lot less than €5.

The pool bars in Argassi are on the beach & its very unlikely that you won't get a sunbed, even in peak times. Even though the beach is small there's still sunbeds on it, although like all the other resorts you have to pay for them on the beach.

Edited: 02 May 2012, 17:07
UK
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Kalamaki too quiet?

One other thing.... you say you like to do trips.. Don't book them through your tour operator rep, you'll only pay a lot more . You'll get exactly the same (sometimes better) trips a lot cheaper if you book through the local tour shops in whatever resort you choose.

Hull
Level Contributor
238 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Kalamaki too quiet?

I just had to google gyros as I had no idea. My partners idea of heaven would be a fortnight living on them!

We learned the rule about local tour shops a long time ago. If we do decide on Kalamaki I will be back once we have booked to find the best tour shops to book with!

Am I right in thinking there is a Lidl nearby? And a Spar? What is local transport like and is there public transport available to Lidl and/or Spar?

Sorry for the millions of questions! I am a total research freak and normally spend months and months researching before booking anything but because we're booking late I don't have the chance to do it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Kalamaki too quiet?

There is a Lidl not that far away and there will be transport. Have never used the Lidl but driven past it and it is perhaps 10 / 15 mins from Kalamaki

As for Gyros, the trick is to explain exactly how you like it, as some love the mayonaise and others prefer the chilli sauce, if you state yoru preference they tend to make them to suit.

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
4,986 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Kalamaki too quiet?

Ok onto Argassi,the beach bars are fantastic as said free sunbeds and remezzos even has a swimming pool.free pool table,sky tv,table tennis table and free wi fi.You get the best of both worlds a dip in the sea,shower then in the pool.There is a nice stretch of sandy beach past the bridge in the sea.There is also Castelo beach bar,waves beach bar and seashell studios have sunbeds.Both Kalamaki and Argassi have bakers where you can buy fresh bread and cakes and very nice they are two.I do think you are leaning towards the Kalamaki option but if you do want more info on Argassi just ask as this resort is the one i feel i know the most about.As far as booking tours in Kalamaki they are all prety much the same,prices etc but you may find that like Peter at Mamfredas in Argassi there is someone in a particuler travel office that is best for giving advise and has good knowledge of the tours.Maybe a Kalamaki reguler can help with this.

Get answers to your questions about Kalamaki
Recent Conversations