We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash, Travellers Cheques or Card

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cash, Travellers Cheques or Card

Can anyone tell me whether I would be better to take cash, travellers cheques or a bank card to Kalamaki?

I haven't been abroad for many years so am not sure what's best.

Thanks in advance :-)

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,679 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash, Travellers Cheques or Card

Hi ploome,

and welcome to the forum.

Traveller cheques are definitely a thing of the past within Europe.

Generally for Greece:

Greek banks don't charge for using the ATMs. Using a common card (like Visa, MasterCard etc.) you will get their rates for the day of the withdrawal - usually a good rate following the market.

We live in a modern world where cards and ATMs are the most common way to get money when needed. Greece is also a modern country, and it should be no difference from what you do at home.

Bring enough Euros to last you for the first couple of days, then use ATMs for withdrawals as you go.

Edited: 19 August 2012, 19:09
Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash, Travellers Cheques or Card

Check the charges your bank will make if you do decide to use ATMs. It can be expensive and you may be better off getting your euros in the UK before you go. The rate is pretty good at the moment.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,679 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash, Travellers Cheques or Card

There is usually a charge for each withdrawal - not for the amount. You will do fine if you withdraw a reasonable amount each time you use the ATMs.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
4,114 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash, Travellers Cheques or Card

Agree with greek-traveller, I take euros from here for a couple of days & use Nationwide card in atms t withdraw the max amount allowed. Even with the 2% +£1 charge the rate still works out very competitive to here ( you get the "commercial" rate rather than the lower tourist rate) & I find it more convenient. Check with your own bank as to what they charge for overseas withdrawals. I don't bother using the card to pay for anything I just use cash ( I'm sure the locals prefer that anyway).

If you're bothered about the atms not working etc, then just keep a couple of days worth of € in your safe & use them up on the last days. We've never had any problems doing this for quite a few years now.

Personally I wouldn't bother with travellers cheques, they're just too much hassle for me & I haven't used them for more than 20 years.

Lewes, East Sussex...
Level Contributor
62 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash, Travellers Cheques or Card

You could also take a "travelcard" - these are the modern equivalent of the travellers cheques. They are lots of different ones available from eg Post Office and travel agents and can be used like your bank card (ie for cash withdrawals and also as a debit card).

You load some money on to it and off you go. Most of the providers charge a fee of 1 or 2 euros if you use them to take cash out of an ATM. However, I've just got one from Sainsbury (which I think is the same as Tesco and Asda version) that is fee free when used abroad.

I prefer to use a travel card as it means I can keep my holiday money separate to my normal bank account.

Only thing to be aware of is the fact that if the card is unused for 12mths a monthly fee of 3 euros will be deducted - just need to close the card, or use it.

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,215 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash, Travellers Cheques or Card

I'm firmly in the camp of take a few euros and then use the ATM, that way you only spend what you need.

Bristol
Level Contributor
346 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash, Travellers Cheques or Card

Yep me too. Take around 300 Euro then withdrawl the max from ATM. Been doing it 6 years and never had a problem and always had a good rate.

Just pre warn your bank you are withdrawling abroad though as they may block it for fraud reasons. Simple phone call and job done.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash, Travellers Cheques or Card

Thank you everyone, that's really helpful

Formby
Level Contributor
93 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash, Travellers Cheques or Card

I am not a fan of the ATM's and only use them in an emergency. I normally take about £2000 (despite being AI !!!) and put it in the hotel safe as the island is very safe and I don't think you need to worry about it being stolen. I like to sit and count my money each day and work out of how much I have to spend each day. If I don't spend our allowance on one day it can then be carried over to the next day. I find using the ATM's you can lose your way a little on remembering just exactly what you have spent.

Edited: 20 August 2012, 18:31
plymouth
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash, Travellers Cheques or Card

hi ive read in the paper today that Greece is leaving the euro is this true ? can anyone please update me on this, as im coming over in two weeks :) cant wait never been to Kalamaki before counting down the days .. thanks for any info ...

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Get answers to your questions about Kalamaki
Recent Conversations