We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have we picked the wrong Resort?!?

Romford, Essex
Level Contributor
147 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Have we picked the wrong Resort?!?

Due to book a week in Kalamaki after doing some reserch! As fancied another holiday in the Greek islands.But worried it's going to be too quiet maybe or even feel deserted? Soon as I heard the words 'The strip' I thought it would be perfect due to wanting a nice compact resort with Nice lively bars and chilled out resturants, but it looks very open and all over the place. We loved Puerto del Carmen and Pefkos in Rhodes so was hoping Kalamaki would be an ideal place for a nice holiday, I am also worried about the number of poorly treated animals ie. horses and dogs people have seen and mentioned in reviews while staying in Kalamaki, I know in places like Greece and Spain you always can see strays running around, but crying dogs in the middle of the night etc and have been mentioed & I know this will upset me being an animal lover! Just wanted some comforting advice so I knowwe have made the right choice, : )

Bromyard, United...
Level Contributor
477 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have we picked the wrong Resort?!?

Kalamaki has many nice bars and restaurants, but is quite spread out too. I suggest you have a look at Virtual Zakynthos to have a look around the resort. I know that the resort has many repeat visitors who I am sure will post more for you.

http://www.virtualzakynthos.gr/kalamaki.html

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have we picked the wrong Resort?!?

If you haven't booked yet I'd suggest looking at Argassi, it's much more compact than Kalamaki and has plenty of great restaurants and bars. The beach isn't is much to write home about but it's perfectly adequate and there are some fantastic beach bars with free sunbeds to make up for it. It's also only a short distance to Vasilikos which has some of the best beaches on the island

Level Contributor
127 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have we picked the wrong Resort?!?

I wouldnt say youve picked the wrong resort. Kalamaki is perfect. The 'strip' has loads of bars and nice restaurants and makes for a perfect stroll in the evenings. it certainly isnt miles apart and easy enough to get from one end to the other on foot with no dramas (we do it with 3 kids and they dont moan)

I guess it all depends what exactly u are looking for its not as in your face as other places ive been to but has the atmosphere and decent bars. plus if u really want to hit it hard Laganas is just down the road in a taxi.

Level Contributor
127 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have we picked the wrong Resort?!?

- when you looking at going?

- When we went last year i didnt see that many strays...but i wasnt really looking.

Edited: 27 April 2013, 19:30
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have we picked the wrong Resort?!?

Kalamaki is not quiet, It’s a medium sized resort with a good amount of lively and chill out bars. It has some of the best taverna’s on the island. Laganas is only 8 euros away in a taxi if you want really lively.

There are some stray animals as in all Greek resorts but in my 17 years of visiting the island I’ve never seen any poorly treated animals especially horses. Crying dogs !!! never heard of that.

Yes, its quite spread out and has a semi rural feel but there is the strip and don’t forget the old road which as a couple of great bars and tavenras. The recession has closed a couple of places but other ones have opened.

Don’t worry, you’ll have a great time.

Romford, Essex
Level Contributor
147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have we picked the wrong Resort?!?

Aw thank-you your commemt,it was comforting!! Yes Im sure ill enjoy it, just didnt want to go to a place that was popular once but deserted now!!! Im ok with seeing strays as u see them anywere not just greece saw loads in portugal last year, just dont like seeing horses that pull the carridages looking unhealthy or stressed, saw one review aswel that mentioned hearing a dog bark all night and i would just find that upsetting!!! God I wish I werent so sensitive....

Romford, Essex
Level Contributor
147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have we picked the wrong Resort?!?

Aw thank-you your commemt,it was comforting!! Yes Im sure ill enjoy it, just didnt want to go to a place that was popular once but deserted now!!! Im ok with seeing strays as u see them anywere not just greece saw loads in portugal last year, just dont like seeing horses that pull the carridages looking unhealthy or stressed, saw one review aswel that mentioned hearing a dog bark all night and i would just find that upsetting!!! God I wish I werent so sensitive....

Swinton, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have we picked the wrong Resort?!?

Lisa you will have a great time. Be sure to look up Oceanic bar on the Old Kalamaki road and Michaelos taverna. Kalamaki is spot on you will enjoy yourself.

Romford, Essex
Level Contributor
147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have we picked the wrong Resort?!?

Yea hope so, where staying in the Louros Beach so the old Kalamaki looks a bit far to walk but if it is, I assume cabs are easily avalible or well prob hire a car so we can venture to Oceanic bar and the other places which are mayb bit to far to walk?!!

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have we picked the wrong Resort?!?

It's not that far from the Louros to the main road and it really doesn't take long to walk anywhere from there. Taxis are easily available and charge a one off rate around the resort if you don't fancy a walk. Yes there are the odd strays around but can honestly say we have never heard crying dogs in all the years we've been going. Kalamaki is a great resort and as Ian said a great mix of bars and tavernas for all tastes. It must have something to draw so many of us back time and again.

Get answers to your questions about Kalamaki
Recent Conversations