We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental - Is Kalamaki really that busy

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
386 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental - Is Kalamaki really that busy

Emailed Merlis car hire a couple of days ago to confirm prices and ask could we just give them a ring next week when we are in Kalamaki as we very much wanted to play hiring a car by ear depending on how much fun my daughter was having at the kids clubs at our hotel. Received an email back telling me that they only have two cars free for the entire two weeks we are there (Jun 16-30), one for 4 days and one for 5.

In many years visiting Zante I've simply walked into car rental places and arranged one for the following day and, having been in Kalamaki last July while staying in Argassi, didn't see any obvious signs that it was overly busy then. Do Merlis have a very small fleet or am I just being given the sales tack to try and get me to book one in advance?

Also, how many other car rental places are there in Kalamaki. I know there's a Eurohire at the top of the road from the Marelen.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
321 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental - Is Kalamaki really that busy

There are a few other car hire places, eurohire which you mentioned, theres eurosky a little bit further up the road, i think traffic rentals are still on the old road and maybe 1 other but not sure, like you say you want to play it by ear depending on your daughter and i think thats best, i wouldnt want to commit to hiring a car and then the kids are having too much fun and wouldnt want to go out in a car.

I know there are quite a few of the regulars going towards the end of june so maybe they have just hired them all out. I would just wait till you're there

England
Level Contributor
479 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental - Is Kalamaki really that busy

Merlis have a good sized fleet. I've known Julie for years, I don't think she wouldn't do the sales chat thing. They could well be that busy, as bookings are up on last year.

Think you're right to wait and see how it pans out once you're here.

Enjoy your holiday.

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental - Is Kalamaki really that busy

Their fleet isn't as big as a few of the others so this may be right but you won't have a problem renting a car when you arrive as there are about 5-6 car rentals in Kalamaki.

Level Contributor
137 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental - Is Kalamaki really that busy

I think Merlis are genuinely busy...we've booked one if their cars from 29th June (I think)

And people we spoke to last year who hired a car had also booked ahead like us.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
386 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental - Is Kalamaki really that busy

Thanks guys, I did wonder if maybe it was a smaller fleet. No worries, I'm happy just to play it by ear and pick one up wherever. Now 2 and a half sleeps left. Whoo-hoo.

mcr
Level Contributor
320 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental - Is Kalamaki really that busy

Julie at merlis as done me a good deal , dropping the car @ the airport for me and I will be dropping off at airport on return. Saves me the cost of transfers too.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental - Is Kalamaki really that busy

Merlis were fully booked when we were inquiring. We ended up using the company below Bon amici. They gave us a really good service, we were really pleased and would recommend them.

Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental - Is Kalamaki really that busy

Merlis have quite a large fleet but people just return to Julie all the time. She's honest, reliable and very accommodating. Their srevice is pleasant, polite & excellent. Always have my car left at the airport on arrival and leave it there on departing. Never any hassle. Have a great trip.. Enjoy Zakynthos....Yamas

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,137 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental - Is Kalamaki really that busy

We saw Julie when she dropped our car off and she is really busy this month with just the odd day available. Also noticed some of the others are busy, June is a popular month but you will be able to book something in resort.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,687 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental - Is Kalamaki really that busy

I find it strange that they can't provide a car. You shouldn't have a problem getting one in resort but if you struggle remember Faros in Argassi will deliver anywhere on the island.

Get answers to your questions about Kalamaki
Recent Conversations