We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing Euro travellers cheques

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Changing Euro travellers cheques

We're off to Kalamaki soon, taking cash, plus cards and have some euro travellers cheques left over from a previous holiday in Europe. Does anyone know if you can cash these, or would we need to go to a bank?

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing Euro travellers cheques

Some hotels and supermarkets will cash them for you but less are doing so now. The nearest banks are in Zante town just a short bus/taxi ride away.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing Euro travellers cheques

I would be suprised if that information is correct. It is still a very popular method of taking money abroad. You should definately be able to change your money at several places..

Cards obviously rip you off on exchange rates, hence why travellers cheques are popular.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,560 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing Euro travellers cheques

Traveller cheques are almost a thing of the past in Europe. Besides you have to pay a fee to buy them, another fee (and a bad rate) for exchanging them (if you find somewhere they do so).

Cards and using ATMs for cash is regarded as the most reasonable way to go.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 14:11
England
Level Contributor
443 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing Euro travellers cheques

You will be able to exchange TCs at some places, not as many as a few years ago. Some places will charge commission, some won't.

The banks now often make businesses who take TCs wait 2 or 3 months for their money, so they are not so popular on the island anymore.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing Euro travellers cheques

Euro travellers cheques have got to be one of the worst ways of changing money. You should be able to change them without much trouble but you won't get "face value" for them. You'll get charged a fair commission probably but at least you can use them up. The best thing to do is ask at the places that have currency boards outside (lots of shops etc) & see what they'll give you. As saganaki said, the banks tend to hold on to the funds before they credit the merchant's account so they're not very popular at all.

If you choose the right debit card (& credit card) that's the most cost effective way to go. Most cards get you the commercial rate which is always a couple % better than the best tourist rate so even allowing for a bit of commission you'll get at least the same as buying € here before you go (more secure too!)

Swinton, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing Euro travellers cheques

Take money and stuff it in your socks, pants wherever. Either way you get more bang for your buck

England
Level Contributor
443 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing Euro travellers cheques

Ahh! Silly me!! Too much sun and ouzo to read the OP properly!

I was talking about Sterling TCs not Euro TCs! Think euro TCs have never been very good!

Can you not just pay them back into your bank? And then get real money?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing Euro travellers cheques

I used to take TC's with me as well. It is true you will be charged a commission to cash them in but they are secure. I do often take Euros with me now and dump them all in the safe in the hotel & just carry enough around with me to cover my needs on a day to day basis.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing Euro travellers cheques

Thanks for all your comments - will take them anyway and see if we can change them; but will rely on all the other ways - debit and credit cards etc.

10. Re: Changing Euro travellers cheques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Kalamaki