We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

catering for toddler in kalamaki

isle of wight
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
catering for toddler in kalamaki

We are spending a week in kalamaki and would like to know if there are shops in town which sell things like full fat cows milk, nappies and wipes etc for our 18 month old. On previous holidays I've noticed that the milk at the hotels never tastes the same as it does back home, but then I don't think I've needed to get it from the supermarket - so I'm not sure if it will taste different ( junior is used to cows milk and I'm worried that he won't like it if it's different) . Also, can I get powdered milk for toddlers as that is my alternative option.

Level Contributor
123 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: catering for toddler in kalamaki

When are you going? I'm going in June and also need to find out the same info x

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: catering for toddler in kalamaki

All supermarkets in Kalamaki sell cows milk the same as we are used to at home with the same bottle top colours i.e. I always use semi-skimmed (green top) and have never had a problem finding this in any shop on Zante as these are E.U regulation rules. I am sure you will have no problems Naughtynat1. If in doubt just ask the assistant as they all speak good english and are more than happy to help. Have a lovely time.x

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: catering for toddler in kalamaki

Hi, you will have no problems finding full fat cows milk in any supermarket in Kalamaki. Just look for the same bottle top colour you are used to in England as these are regulated by the E.U. i.e. I always use semi-skimmed milk at home and cannot stand any other type in my coffee. Never had a problem finding this in any european country, just look for the green top and have never been disappointed. We have been to Kalamaki many times over the years and always got the cows milk I like in every supermarket we have been to. Have always noticed that they do full fat and skimmed too with the same colour tops as we have at home. Just make sure you get the fresh milk and not the sterilised type. If in doubt just ask the shopkeeper as they all speak excellent english and are more than helpful. Am sure you will find everything you need for your toddler. Have a wonderful time. We will be just going home as you arrive so will save some sunshine for you. xx Syl xx

isle of wight
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: catering for toddler in kalamaki

Thank you Syl for the info.

Naughtynat1 we are staying at the Venus hotel mid May for one week. It's our first holiday abroad with little'un and I've only just started to realise how much I need to plan ahead for this! x

Level Contributor
123 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: catering for toddler in kalamaki

Oh so your going pretty soon then :) my head is in a right spin over it haha! My boy only turns one a couple of weeks before I go so hopefully he will take to cows milk straight after his birthday otherwise I'll have to take the sma with us.. It's not until you sit down and do a list when you realise you need loads of stuff and think damn it haha! I mean how many swimming nappies should we take I have no idea? Would you mind posting back here after you have been and let me know how you got on and whether you managed to find everything you need as would be a huge help? I've been Zante a few times but never with a baby so I'm a little confused as to how much to take and whether it's the same brands they sell for baby's. I wouldn't like to change his brands in nappies Incase it irritates him so am thinking about taking a full pack of pampers with us it's just so stressful lol x oh and hope you have a fab time too :) x

Edited: 30 April 2014, 09:35
Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: catering for toddler in kalamaki

Hi somethingsassy, don't worry about your little one in Zante, they all adore kids and will be so helpful you will not believe it, I promise. Bob and I will be staying at the Venus too, from 18th May for 2 weeks. Please do look us up and ask for any help, advice etc. that you may need as we do know the area very well. Only 2 weeks to go, can't wait to have a good dose of sunshine, good company and the food (oh the wonderful food!!!). See you then. xSylx

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: catering for toddler in kalamaki

Hi naughtynat1, Don't worry you will be fine. Its amazing how you will look back on your holiday and realise how well you managed. I would advise that you start weaning your little one onto cows milk before you go away though, as an experienced mum of 3 (all survived into their 30's now) plus grandmother of 1 3 year old and honorary grandmother to 2 little ones of 1year and 2 years old please believe me that your little one would not suddenly start drinking cows milk on their 1st birthday. Like most things changes in diet have to be introduced gradually. Why not try giving cows milk during the day with formula at night and see how you get on for a week or two before going away??? Whatever you do remember its your holiday too so let dad take over for a bit so you can relax too. Best of luck and do let us know how you go on. x syl x

Level Contributor
123 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: catering for toddler in kalamaki

Thank you syl, I plan on letting husband do most of the work with the little one whilst I run around with the two older ones haha :) my older two never wanted to drink cows milk so they had to stay on formula for a while after their first birthday but this my little one now seems to take to things quite easy. I've looked up on nhs and it advises to not let them have cows milk til after they turn one so I have a few weeks to get him to like it (hopefully) if not then it's the formula I think. So are you regulars of Zante too? What's the Venus like? X

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: catering for toddler in kalamaki

We spent lots of holidays at the Dias (just up the road from the Venus) up to a few years ago when my health deteriatated somewhat (developed a nasty form of arthritis at the base of my spine) so have been taking our main holiday in the winter on Gran Canaria to get away from the cold for a few weeks. Have been pining for a return to Kalamaki though, missed the people, the food and the atmosphere, so decided this year we will do it. Couldn't get into the Dias as they are full but had often looked at the Venus, when strolling down to the beach, and knowing where it is and having spoken to lots of people when we were there, who all had nothing bad to say about the place, decided we would give it a try. It also helps that, unlike the Dias, which is self catering apartments, the Venus is a hotel so more comfort and more like what we have become used to in recent years.

I will put a full and honest review on here when we get back so keep an eye out for it and I promise I will look at everything with a view to how you will get on with little ones. They sound delightful and I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: catering for toddler in kalamaki

Most of the "tourist" supermarkets will have nappies & wipes etc but they'll be more expensive than UK. AB supermarket on the outskirts of Zante Town definitely have them. The new AB opposite Lidl will probably have them too. This shops a bit smaller than the older 1 but I'd think they stock the same items.

Most of the milk isn't labelled as semi or fully skimmed etc, it has a percentage of fat printed on it. The higher percentage is full fat, I can't remember the numbers but I think full fat is about 5% ( someone will correct that if I'm wrong)

Edited: 30 April 2014, 20:08
Get answers to your questions about Kalamaki
Recent Conversations