We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kos first-timer

London
Level Contributor
259 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Kos first-timer

We've booked a flight for a short break in Kos at the end of this month and although familiar with many Greek islands, it will be my first time visiting Kos.

A couple of questions: Arriving quite late, so are the car hire places at the airport open up until midnight, also is it advisable to book a car in advance?

Haven't found a really good guide to the island (even at Stanfords) so unsure about where to stay. Is there a resort that is particularly recommended? My preference is for somewhere quiet (i.e. not rowdy) but with plenty of shops and restaurants close at hand. Both of us want to mainly chill out but not somewhere that is isolated.

Many thanks.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kos first-timer

I see that you have put your request into the Kardamena section. Is that because it is your preference? If so I will let others answer as I do not know it well enough. I am not sure that 'quiet' goes with lots of shops and restaurants. You could look at Tigaki, Mastihari, Kefalos, Lambi (just outside Kos Town). Any of these may fit the bill for not being rowdy and enough restaurants.

west midlands
Level Contributor
202 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kos first-timer

Kos Town may suit you. it doesn't appear to be overly busy and has a mix of old and new. Kos is a 'flat' island around the sea shore so is great for cycling the hills are in the centre of the island! Tigaki is quiet but may not have enough restaurants or bars but it does have a beautiful beach. there are great trips to be had both on and off the island, boat trips from kos harbour in particular.

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kos first-timer

Mastichari is great - a traditional working harbour, located in the middle of the north coast. Great for tavernas, super selection, good bars and excellent for catching the ferry over to Kalymnos. As it is in the middle of the island, it is quick to get anywhere if hiring a car and the bus service is good going to Kos Town one way and to Kefalos the other.

Kos
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kos first-timer

go onto Kos explorer.com and read through their on line guide.....Stayinkos.com this site offers a wide range of accommodation in Kos...and also read my articles on Kardamena......click on Travellers articles...and have a read.....then Cleopatra Superior in Kardamena...lots of first class restaurants, great beaches....both ends of the village are very quiet..with a noisy bit in the middle....which is easy to steer clear of....lived her for 30 years so could be a bit biased...

5. Re: Kos first-timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Kardamena
Recent Conversations