We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which resort?

Which Costa Teguise hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reading
Level Contributor
203 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
which resort?

Im looking at taking a hol early december.

what is the temperature/rain like this time of year? does it depend on where on the island you are?

We are a couple aged 23 and 30, we will be all inclusive due to cost. We like the beach (not too windy), nice little towns to look round, boat trips. Pretty easy going about what we do on holiday. Not too keen on places where there are LOADS of kids, although we will be travelling out of school hols.

What resorts should we consider?

Also for a weeks car hire how much (approx obviously) how much wold this be, and which companies would you recommend.

thanks for your help!

Katie

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which resort?

Firstly Katie I would urge you to seriously reconsider the All Inclusive option. Unless you are prepared to pay for one of the better hotels it is a false economy IMHO. Better to get a cheap self-catering apartment and give yourself a chance to enjoy the full range of food available in the resorts.

My wife and I used to get a tin of Fabada (spanish bean stew) for less than a euro and a couple of bread rolls from the supermarket for 30c each and thats breakfast for 2 for less than 1.60e. You´ll get sandwiches in the bars for around 3 euro each, light lunches for less than a fiver. You can eat out in the evenings for anything from 15 euro for the pair of you, including drinks. You can obviously have a few meals in as well.

Remember, many of the cheaper all inclusive options will have bars that close quite early, or drinks are only served on an all inclusive basis up to a certain time. They´ll generally serve Tropical beer (see the Cheap Beers thread) and you´ll only get the "local" spirits which will give you lovely hangovers in the morning.

All inclusives are a good option if you have kids who are pestering you for soft drinks and ice creams all day, but I wouldn´t do it as a couple.

Turning to your other questions, for a young couple such as yourself I would recommend Puerto Del Carmen as the liveliest resort with lots of choice of bars and clubs all within easy walking distance. Costa Teguise is generally considered to be the windiest of the 3 resorts. Playa Blanca is the furthest from the airport, so unless you are hiring a car from the airport this can rack up your costs just getting to and from the resort.

Weather - should still be well into the 20´s with plenty of sunshine. The sea and pools will be a little chilly, but you should get plenty of opportunity to work on your tan. Might need a light fleece or jacket for the evenings. Rain is rarely a problem on Lanzarote.

As to the car hire, I´d suggest using the search option at the top of the forum page as the question has been asked a few times recently. If that doesn´t help, perhaps post a more specific question.

Hope all that helps.

Arrecife, Spain
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which resort?

Thanx for replying LV it saves me getting stick for saying don't do al get out and enjoy the resorts.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which resort?

My experience of Lanzarote is limited... however, I choose Costa Teguise because it was a little less in your face than PDC and because of its central island location (an ideal base if you are hiring a car). And don't worry about the wind, its really not that bad.

For car hire, try http://www.carjet.com

They are a broker but I kinda like their style and straight-up honesty. They are also offering all inclusive, no excess car hire. If you want to go direct then try AutoReisen at www.arcarhire.com/car-hire/car-hire.php or Goldcar at http://www.goldcar.es/en/ (both have desks and their fleets at the airport arrivals).

I agree totally with the points above about all-inclusive hotels. Lanzarote is relatively cheap compared to most places so you shouldn't bust your budget. I stayed at the Club Siroco in Costa Teguise which has been panned on here for its poor food... but surprisingly, it was actually pretty good. So midway through the holiday we bought into 4 days worth of All Inclusive but while the food was great, the drinks weren't such good value (even though they were free).

John.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,561 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which resort?

For car hire I would suggest you look at Cabrera Medina. They are local to the Canary Islands. You can book on the internet and pay when you pick the car up at the airport.

I agree with LVGrroom about AI. There are so many good and inexpensive restaurants on the island.

I always stay in Playa Blanca. I have stayed at PDC and Costa Teguise but not any more. I realise that PB is quieter than the others so may not be to your liking.

Reading
Level Contributor
203 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which resort?

thanks for all your replies.

so, roughly if we werent to go all inclusive how much could we expect to spend on food and drinks (we arent alcoholics but would have a beer or two with dinner).

We went to tenerife earlier this year and the prices were shocking, like 10euros for a margarita pizza, and 2euros for a can of coke.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,253 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which resort?

Katie,

Not sure if you mean self catering or eating out for prices but I'll give you both.

Eating in you can get a basic pizza for about a euro and a can of coke for 32 cents from spar. To eat out at night will cost you €5-6 euro's for a pizza at night but cheaper if you eat at lunchtime (many do specials at this time), probably about €4. Coke in a bar/restaurant can range from €1.50-€2.

Reading
Level Contributor
203 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which resort?

i found an all inclusive deal (reviews are mostly good) for £300, so its probably worth doing that anyway, even if we go out a couple of times

My belief is cooking on holiday is banned haha

8. Re: which resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2011, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about Costa Teguise