We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzies - are there any in Lanzarote? (September)

Which Costa Teguise hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Merseyside
Level Contributor
102 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Mozzies - are there any in Lanzarote? (September)

Considering staying in apartments that don't have air con (Santa Rosa, El Guarapo etc).

Would leave windows open but worry about mozzies. My partner was eaten alive in Greece and will not be happy with the idea of open windows at night.

Any opinions on this??

Lanzarote, Spain
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mozzies - are there any in Lanzarote? (September)

Visit a supermarket and get a plug in, most seem to work very well for the first couple of weeks. Also keep the curtains closed and consider spraying with fly/mozziy killer.

cheers

Keith

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,815 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mozzies - are there any in Lanzarote? (September)

If you're there when we are in September, you will be fine. They will all be in Playa Blanca after me lol!! I am a mosquito magnet!!!

Seriously - do as Keith suggests and buy a plug in, or two. We usually have one in both bedrooms. I also use a repellent spray. Hubby is never bitten. They still get me though. I must just taste good lol.

Essex England
Level Contributor
25 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mozzies - are there any in Lanzarote? (September)

Also consider employing my favourite which is Avon Skin So Soft. Without it I am but a Mozzie fast food restaurant! Apparently they're less fond of people who take calcium supplements - don't quote me on that one thou:)

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,815 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mozzies - are there any in Lanzarote? (September)

I take calcium as well John! I have also tried Avon SSS but got eaten alive. I really don't know what I have that they seem to love. Being a mozzie magnet wasn't something I ever aspired to lol!!

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mozzies - are there any in Lanzarote? (September)

mmm Have taken Calcium tabs for years and am still eaten alive unless I use the Avon SSS in 'Fresh'. That's the only one that works and I carry some in a little bottle to use before I get off he 'plane so that I don't get bitten on my way!! Use a plug in in EVERY room as well LOL. Going in October - have you been then? Interested in approx temperatures because only been to Playa Blanca in Dec/Jan before. Also have you stayed at La Terracitas? We are taking my elderly mum and I have tried to be selective in choosing a property with own pool and fairly short walk to the main beachfront restaurants in Playa B. We have been misled before on distances - once over the other side of the Rubicon Marina and once on Faro Park!! - advise if you can please

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,529 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mozzies - are there any in Lanzarote? (September)

I tried this Avon SSS Fresh and found it rubbish, I was still easten alive, and ended up with a very swollen arm

Velez Blanco, Spain
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mozzies - are there any in Lanzarote? (September)

Remember that your plugins won't work if the windows are open.

September isn't too bad a month for mozz activity. It would be worse in Novermber when you get a shower ot two.

Use mozzie sprays, and don't wear perfume. Imbibe plenty of garlic and yeast too (beer then ha ha).

I used to be eaten alive, but now only get bitten a handul of times a year (normally when I have something perfumed on)

Elle xx

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mozzies - are there any in Lanzarote? (September)

OK thanks Elle. I know to close windows ets cos not a numbie lol!!! Garlicy food fine but can't do the yeast as allegic to the stuff!! So no beer for me BUT wine within a limit and plenty Voddies and GnTs so they will work as well HaaHaa - that'smy excuse!!!! Seriously, I think the yeast bit comes from the recommended Vit B but I tried that and it didn't work!! I think it;'s prob a case of do what you can and swot the little b******!! Anyway mozzies or no - I am goin to have a wonderful relaxin 2 weeks in the sunshine with no work!! xx

Velez Blanco, Spain
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mozzies - are there any in Lanzarote? (September)

Sorry Ruthie - didn't mean to treat you like a fool... have just seen some quite intelligent people still get that one wrong lol.

Ah yeast allergy - that must be quite tough to work around!

Ha ha ha - enough voddie or GnTs and you won't feel the blighters anyway!

Have a wonderful relaxing time.

Elle xx

Lanzarote, Spain
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mozzies - are there any in Lanzarote? (September)

Had one of the buggers in the bedroom around 0500 this morning, must have been immune to the plug ins etc as it had a good feed....

Keith