We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly epidemic

Which Los Cristianos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
glasgow
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Topic
Fly epidemic

Has anyone any idea why there are so many flies in the resort at the moment. Have spoke to a number of ex-pats who have lived in Tenerife for 20+ years and they have never experienced what is happening just now. Suggestions put forward - Recent Tenerife rain, strange Atlantic weather patterns,or maybe inferior disinfectants used on rubbish sites. So is there anybody with any more enlightenment on the subject, as eating out is not the most pleasurable past-time at the moment.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,469 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly epidemic

It seems its occurring in other areas too.Personal opinion ....i think it must be down to weather conditions ,a lot of winds and humidity this year .Think they have always burnt the rubbish as such and if "inferior" disinfectants should be the cause ,they have used these for years so why now?

To add ,where i live on the East Coast UK we had this occur to during the summer months ,never ever seen this before in such vast numbers !!!

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,830 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly epidemic

No idea, what is causing them but it must now be nearly 4 weeks since we stated noticing hundreds of the damned things. They are right across the island, friends in Puerto, Los Gigantes and the Golf all say they have never seen so many. Supermarkets have run out of flyspray.

Maybe they are attracted by the pantomime as OH and I go on a 'big game hunt' with our swats. You would think those that escape would warn their mates as we are now crack shots. 8)

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

linlithgow scotland
Level Contributor
980 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly epidemic

Just back from a two week holiday, the first week wasnt too bad but last week they were a real PITA! One resident said it sometimes happens around the season changes....spring/summer......summer/winter.

Lets hope it doesnt last too long for those there!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
610 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly epidemic

Probably more to do with rubbish not being collected regularly enough, have the" dustmen been on strike again? weather just gives flies the climate to breed easily but rubbish gives them everything else

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,830 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly epidemic

Non-collection of rubbish is not why we have them, our bazuras are emptied every single day at 1.00am you can set your watch by them.

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
610 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly epidemic

Wonder if dogs muck could have anything to do with it then and of course people feed stray cats and leave food out all over the place.

Flys need damp/wet conditions to survive and of course rotten or rotting food if these sources are removed the flys will vanish

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly epidemic

I was told there were always a lot of flies when the banana trees were being harvested.I don't know if there's any truth in that? But we rarely see a fly when we stay in the winter and there can be wet weather then and the bin collection is the same and I'm sure dogs toilet habits are the same so I think that puts paid to those theories!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly epidemic

Can anyone give us a update on the fly epidemic please, is it still as bad or has it settled down at all, we are in Los Cristianos a week today so hope its good news!!!!!

Thanks

Ramnit

Ampthill, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fly epidemic

I've just got back from my first visit and there seemed to be a huge amount of flies around. My friends who had been there before thought there were many more than they'd encountered before. Daytime eating could be a tricky affair. The problem eases after sunset.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,830 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fly epidemic

It is no better and has been like this now for approx 3 weeks the bloomin flies are driving me to distractions. It has been suggested on the Tenerife Forum.org when someone said they didn´t have flies in the Puerto

>>> I reckon it's because you get a more regular rainfall... I still think there are SOOOOO many flies because of the two on and off days of rain we had the other week, all the flies/maggots were like "ohhhh everything is yucky and juicy wet, let's breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed" LOL ... I don't think it has anything to do with the banana plantations, they spray them every year, various times...<<<

Perhaps they are right, it could be down to the weather but I can't ever remember having so many.

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Get answers to your questions about Los Cristianos
Recent Conversations