We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for the "Greek Isle Feeling" in southern Tenerife.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for the "Greek Isle Feeling" in southern Tenerife.

Haven't been to the island yet but the extreame southern-western area looks very nice. I'm not too much into the "Americas" (sp.?) type areas, would prefer a southern Kreta type sea side village or a Kamari Santorini waterfront. I'm also looking to be able to swim year round, I'm thinking 18C would be a bit cold? I'm also thinking that some of the beaches with sea walls would hold a little higher tempertures for the winter months? I'm from America and I'm looking to retire in either S. Kreta or S. Tenerike, Tenerike seems to have more plusses such as hospitals and a more higher income in the area. I also hear there are new private clinics and hospitals in the area. Any advice would be appr.. Oh, I can meet all the income requirements and can afford to buy a nice place.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for the "Greek Isle Feeling" in southern Tenerife.

Sorry INXS2 ,but you will not get the "Greek Isle Feeling " in Tenerife ...

I know the Greek Islands well as I used to live in Athens .. and my husband is Greek !

Tenerife is just not Greece , it is different in it's own right , don't try to compare ! and just to say my Greek Husband Loves Tenerife ! ;-)) and that's parly because it has eternal spring , being one of the best climates in the world , we spend our winters their .

I would recommend the North of the Island as it is more traditional Canarian and Puerto has character . I love all the Island ,but Puerto de la Cruz is my favourite ..

Here is a link which might help you , written by some one that lives in Puerto ..

realtenerifeislanddrives.com/…20Cruz.html

Hope this helps ..

Sylla

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for the "Greek Isle Feeling" in southern Tenerife.

Thanks I thought so and I have put a lot of time looking into La cruz and San Andras. It seems as if there is a micro climate in those areas as I hear that the north useally is cooler then the south. I also seem that clouds often effect air traffic in the airport in the north. I would also feel more comfortable with the larger British population to the north. BTW, is the healthcare in Tenerife a lot better then in Greece?

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for the "Greek Isle Feeling" in southern Tenerife.

Hi ..

As I understand the health care is far better in Tenerife than in Greece . I myself have had the good fortune to NOT experience it personally in either country , but I have a relation who has experienced Greece .

There is quite a large British population in all parts of Tenerife aswell as other nationalities...

There is very little difference in the temperature north and south , the north getting more rain , hence the lovely tropical feel and beautiful scenery .. It is said that the west gets the most sun , and I must say that seems to be the case when I have been there .. there is quite a large British population there .

Your best bet is to come on holiday ,tour around and see which area suits you best ..

Good luck

Sylla

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,058 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for the "Greek Isle Feeling" in southern Tenerife.

I have to agree with Sylla. You cannot compare the Greek islands with Tenerife. They are completely different. Maybe look into alternative options?

peterborough
Level Contributor
979 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for the "Greek Isle Feeling" in southern Tenerife.

Perhaps Cyprus might be a bit closer to the Greek way of life...

Get answers to your questions about Los Cristianos
Recent Conversations