We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

considering s/c hol los cristianos with young baby advice?

Level Contributor
100 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
considering s/c hol los cristianos with young baby advice?

Been researching a few opts for a first family holiday in. May next year. Have come to the conclusion that with a baby self catering would probably be easier than a hotel.

We have never been to canary islands but drawn to it as will be good weather in May prices seem reasonable and research suggests its a good place to be self catering?

Baby will be approx 9/10 months and will be 1st holiday abroad. Would you recommend los cristianos with a small baby is it family friendly? How is the beach for little 1s? Is it ok with a buggy not too hilly? How easy/pricey is it to buy baby items milk nappies ect?

I understand it is quite a british resort but is it attractive to go for walks and things? We went to benidorm and I did not like it would people say it.is similar?

Also recommendactions for somewhere baby friendly to stay would be great?

Hope someone can help

We have considered Turkey and Cyprus also but think it can be quite pricey to be self catering in some of the resorts. We considered Majorca and Minorca also but think the weather may be hit and miss in May. I am open to other suggestions if people think there may be somewhere more suited elsewhere in the canaries or somewhere else?

All advice gratefully received

Level Contributor
100 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: considering s/c hol los cristianos with young baby advice?

The paloma beach apartments look great aswell thankyou they would be exactly the kind of thing we are looking for.

What is the beach like by these apartments please it says 5 minutes walk, is it a safe area for a little 1?

It's good there is a supermarket and restaurants close by the apartments. From reading other threads I understand we won't struggle to buy baby products but are they a lot more expensive than home?

I understand I just contact the Paloma beach directly and assume I would then need to book my own flights and transfers? I usually book a package)(because it's easy) but suppose I don't mind booking separate if we are getting the right holiday

Billingham, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: considering s/c hol los cristianos with young baby advice?

The beach immediately in front of the Paloma beach is shingle but a short walk along the sea front will take you to numerous beaches. Our favourite is las vistas beach but your closest one is probably about a 10 min walk. The sea front is great for a walk as you've got good views, plenty of places to stop for a drink or a bite to eat.

I believe LC to be a safe place but we are careful like we are at home. You do hear stories of pick pockets etc like you get anywhere but as long as your careful you will be fine.

I can't really comment on the cost of baby food as my daughter is now 2, however I don't recall it being overly expensive, if you've got a decent baggage allowance I'd bring enough out with you to keep you going for a bit just incase.

Another good thing with apartments is if you can get one with a washing machine then you'll not need as many clothes. We take two cases and for 16 nights we normally nearly fill one case with nappies and wipes alone!

I do remember thinking nappies and wipes were more expensive though, if your child is still on formula you may need to bring that with you as I've only seem Cow & Gate and SMA in the supermarket.

We always now just book our flights separately and whilst we have a friend who picks us up at the airport the taxis from the airport are very good and reliable. I paid around 20 euros one way in January from the airport to LC.

We use skyscanner and just look through all the your operator websites looking for decent flight prices and times.

HTH

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,469 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: considering s/c hol los cristianos with young baby advice?

Both Huggies and Pampers are called Dodots Don´t know the prices but if you compare to the swimmers these are €6.99 here for 20, it may give you an idea of nappy prices. Moltex baby wipes are €0.78 a pack.

Formula is mainly Cow and Gate, Aptamil, Nestle and Hero. Don´t know prices of any as my babies are long grown up but will try and remember to look when I am shopping today.

We don´t have calpol but if you need help talk to the person in the Farmacia they give excellent advice and don't forget you will need an EHIC as well as the babies passport if you need to go to a doctor.

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,343 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: considering s/c hol los cristianos with young baby advice?

My friend and I stayed at Paloma Beach in March and it was excellent. They are refurbing some of the older units and the newly refurbed ones are beautiful. Certainly worth thinking about, we had a great time and its only a short walk to the paseo, I'd recommend it too.

Level Contributor
100 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: considering s/c hol los cristianos with young baby advice?

This is all really useful info thankyou. So the nice beach that everyone is talking about las vistas is a 10-15 mins walk away from the apartments? Is it a nice walk with a buggy?

I will look at sky scanner. Would people say the best deals are last minute or booked in advance.I don't think there are many good last minute bargains to be had now

Bradford, United...
Destination Expert
for Es Canar
Level Contributor
871 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: considering s/c hol los cristianos with young baby advice?

Defiantly need to book flights in advance as early as possible for the best prices. Don't forget you can fly out with one airline and back with another to get the best times and prices.

Ps we have booked Paloma Beach for next March so good to read more positive comments.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,469 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: considering s/c hol los cristianos with young baby advice?

<<So the nice beach that everyone is talking about las vistas is a 10-15 mins walk away from the apartments? Is it a nice walk with a buggy?<<

Las Vistas beach is lovely but 5 minutes closer is the town beach which is sandy and also very nice. This is the one that locals tend to use more as they throw down their towels rather than pay for a sunlounger and brolly.

I checked nappies while in Mercadona Dodots All different sizes but €20 for a pack of 60 they also had their own make at €5.80 for pack of 36. Baby formula was between €7.80 and €13 for a large tin (sorry can´t remember what it was but looked like SMA) and Milupa RTF €1.86 and Milupa Ex Hungry €1.47 both 200ml

Hope this all makes sense as not used to checking out what babies need!!

Edited: 13 June 2014, 15:42
18. Re: considering s/c hol los cristianos with young baby advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Los Cristianos