We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ridiculous prices with Thomson for 2012!

scotland
Level Contributor
173 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
ridiculous prices with Thomson for 2012!

Been pricing holiday for next year to our usual studio in Santo Tomas.

We paid £1600 this year, £1200 last year (free child place), but next year its coming up as £2260!! For a self catering hol in a small studio, this is a ridiculous price, when you take into account the food and drink you still have to buy. Looks like we'll have to give Menorca a miss and look elsewhere. Anyone else noticing a great increase or am I being miserable? (And all you get with this price is a 15kg luggage allowance)

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ridiculous prices with Thomson for 2012!

You did not say for what month or what stay length? There no reason to miss out on Menorca in 2012 -just go a different route to Thomsons-plenty of options on the DIY front.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ridiculous prices with Thomson for 2012!

We spent a week in Sol Menorca at the beginning of July this year (through Thomson), the price for the same week next year is £297 more...each! I note that Thomson is not offering any on line discount to this hotel for next year, we were lucky to get quite a substantial discount this year, but even without any discounts the price has gone up 29%.

scotland
Level Contributor
173 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ridiculous prices with Thomson for 2012!

Hi, Sorry, should have said it is for two weeks at the beginning of July, staying in the Vistamar. We travel out of Newcastle. For the same 2 weeks flying out of Gatwick the cost is £1440. Unbelievable! Actually the price flying out of Newcastle the following week is £1700, and I always thought the later into high season you travelled the more expensive it got. We have looked into DIY, but the flights out of Newcastle have always bumped it up to higher than a package deal. The cost of flying from both Edinburgh and Glasgow is even more.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ridiculous prices with Thomson for 2012!

Put together your own DIY package and save a fortune. Just remember to pay with a credit card.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,197 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ridiculous prices with Thomson for 2012!

As MIB and crazypom say - if the package price is crazy vote with your feet and book direct or through sites like Expedia, Travel Republic etc. if you want to make a direct enquiry to the Vistmar the info you need is on hamiltoncourt.com/ingles/…vistamar.html or http://www.hamiltoncourt.com/

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ridiculous prices with Thomson for 2012!

I suspect possibly some Thomson system pricing set up errors. Flights to Menorca are not cheap compared with other destinations- reckon for July with high end of £250 and low end of £150 PP if you book flights independently.

London
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: ridiculous prices with Thomson for 2012!

If you want the security of a package, could you not just shift to the following week when it is only 1700 ? Or wait maybe until the price for your weeks drops.

Presumably nobody will book at 2260 for the first two weeks in July if the second and third week are only 1700 for the exact same holiday ? Once the cheaper ones are gone they will then probably have to drop the prices of the other weeks or they will be lumbered with them. Think it is what they refer to as fluid pricing, but to me just seems to be confusing pricing !

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Cala'n Porter
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ridiculous prices with Thomson for 2012!

Hi,

Scottish schools break up at the end of June & as Newcastle is only a couple of hours away from central Scotland they've priced your airport the same as the Scottish ones & are charging high season prices. Manchester & the southern departures will be cheaper because their schools don't break up till the third week of July.

DIY might be fractionally cheaper but the airlines know the dates of the regional school holidays too & Newcastle, Edinburgh & Glasgow will all be around the same price .

I have this problem every year, we live in central Scotland & I always fly from Manchester as the price difference is about 4 times the cost of petrol & parking.

Carol

9. Re: ridiculous prices with Thomson for 2012!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 22:18
Get answers to your questions about Santo Tomas