We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearest Hypermarket And Authentic Spanish/Tapas Restaurants

Caerphilly, United...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nearest Hypermarket And Authentic Spanish/Tapas Restaurants

Hi. I've read lots of useful info on here and am aware of the shops in the resort, I have a car hired for the 10 days we are staying (£85 for 10 days from 7th June - pretty cheap I thought!) and wanted to know where the closest largest supermarket is? Is there a decent sized one in Es Mighorn or I would I have to go a little further? We are going self catering staying in Mestral/Llebeig and as I have a 1 and 3 year old I need to buy cheaply.

Also, we go to Spain for Spanish food, I believe there is 1 Spanish restaurant in the resort but I wanted to know if there are any recommended authentic Tapas bars nearby?

Many thanks!

Rotherham, England
Level Contributor
216 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nearest Hypermarket And Authentic Spanish/Tapas Restaurants

The supermarkets in Es Migjorn are fine for most things and much cheaper than those in Santo Tomas, but they have limited fresh meat and fish. One has a fresh fish counter on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturday mornings and there are two independent butchers shops. If you have a car, though, you would probably be better going to one of the big supermarkets on the Mahon polygons - Mercadona, Binipreu or Hyper Centro, all of which have wonderful fresh meat and fish counters.

C'an Berto, Es Bruc and to a lesser extent Es Pins in ST are good for Menorcan dishes and seafood

The nearest authentic Spanish restaurants and tapas would be in Es Migjorn - S'Engolidor, Bar Chic and C'an Pilar are all good for local dishes and Bar Peri is excellent for tapas.

The choices available if you are prepared to travel to Mercadal, Fornells and of course Mahon and Cuitadella are too numerous to list here.

Enjoy!

Bill

Caerphilly, United...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nearest Hypermarket And Authentic Spanish/Tapas Restaurants

Thanks Bill that's really useful.......one more quick question, is there a bakery in ST?

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nearest Hypermarket And Authentic Spanish/Tapas Restaurants

Yes, there is a small bakers shop in the shopping parade midway along the resort which is only open in the mornings. The two supermarkets also sell bread rolls etc.

I would add Ca Na Pilar ( aka Restaurante Migjorn) in Es Migjorn to the list of restaurants - not cheap ( even the lunchtime menu del dia is around €18) but it serves really nice food and the service is excellent. Further affield Bar Vimpy in Ferreries is well known for excellent Tapas

Rotherham, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Nearest Hypermarket And Authentic Spanish/Tapas Restaurants

hi Bill Im from Rotherham never been to Menorca and i am going in 2 weeks time with my daughter her partner and their 2 year old twins self catering to cal an Porter is there any good supermarkets around there and good eating places please

Sue

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Cala'n Porter
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nearest Hypermarket And Authentic Spanish/Tapas Restaurants

You may get more replies if you re post under Cala n Porter or look at previous CnP posts as there are loads of similar questions and answers.

Rotherham, England
Level Contributor
216 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nearest Hypermarket And Authentic Spanish/Tapas Restaurants

Hi Sue

Nice to hear from a fellow Rotherham-dweller. I must admit that we don't get into CNP much other than to start or end walks, so I can't give you much specific advice. Do as Caroline's suggests or perhaps go onto the Menorca net forum in the CNP section where people are regularly getting advice.

I'm sure you will love Menorca, especially if you get out and about a bit around the island.

Enjoy

Bill

Aberdour, Fife
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Nearest Hypermarket And Authentic Spanish/Tapas Restaurants

Hi there. read your post and saw that you went to Santo Tomas with young children. I am going in Sept but staying in a villa so was wondering whether there were play grounds/ splash parks in the town? I don't expect the hotels will let us use theirs as we are not hotel guests. Did you see many activivites for young children outside of the hotels?

Also who did you hire the car from? Seems a great deal!

Thanks!

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nearest Hypermarket And Authentic Spanish/Tapas Restaurants

I am replying to your PM Lesley but in case anyone else wants the info about the playgrounds etc. I am repeating the info here. There are NO splash parks in the resort or indeed any nearby. There is a very small splash area aimed at small children in the Mestral & Llebeig apartment complex but that is strictly for residents use. The Victoria Playa hotel has a slide into its pool I think but again this is for guests although the place seems so busy I doubt they would notice you using it. There is some sort of water slide set up in Son Bou but water/splash parks as such are only to be found in three places that I know of - two on the west coast at Cala N'Forcat and Cala N'Bosch ( nice marina and a reasonable amount of places to eat plus the Goody Goody play park is supposed to be good for children) and the newest up in Arenal den Castell which is attached to the Marina Park Hotel but I understand is usually open to non residents.

Re "playgrounds" it depends what you mean - there are a couple of areas with climbing equipment ( one by Bar Es Pins, another behind the car park midway along the resort and the other by Bar Es Bruc but Santo Tomas is a very quiet resort compared to some places.

There is a Top Question on car hire which I recommend you read carefully. For short hire periods in the resort you have the choice of larger firms like Avis and large local firm Owners Cars (who I use sometimes for 3 days or less hires but their fuel charges for longer rentals are excessive) and a couple of smaller firms who also have offices in the resort . If you want a car from the airport some of the smaller firms on the island ( see Top Question threads for names ) will deliver the car to you there even though they do not have desks in the terminal like the larger firms. We have just used Poppy Cars and found the experience totally satisfactory - nice clean car, all incl insurance with no excesses , plus maps, roof rack and if you need them free child seats. Whoever you book through, PLEASE be careful when booking through online agents etc. like Do You Spain just because the base price looks good - they make up for this by adding charges for child seats, second drivers, insurance excess waivers AND if the website shows fuel policy as "full/full" you will be charged for a full tank of fuel even if you are not expecting to use that much and will NOT get any refund if you don't use it all - fine if you are happy but this will add significantly to the overall cost

Edited: 02 July 2013, 13:15
9. Re: Nearest Hypermarket And Authentic Spanish/Tapas Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Santo Tomas