We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Playa Hotel, Santo Thomas

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Playa Hotel, Santo Thomas

Hello :-)

We are due to stay here on our first family holiday abroad at the end of May 2014 with our 3 children (10, 4 & 15 months) Obviously we haven't been here before and we were wondering what there is to do, apart from what the hotel has to offer. We are aware Santo Tomas is a quite location-which I what appealed to us most :-)

Having a small child we accept we perhaps maybe limited to what organised excursion's we could do and would much prefer to make our own way to recommended places rather than organised coach trips so that we can stay/leave when we prefer.

How much would a bus into Mahon be and how long would this take & are we able to catch a bus easily within Santo Thomas?

Ive seen Club Sant Jaime mentioned via a link on here, and looks quite good for the children. How could we get there...bus...taxi or would we need to hire a car? And what prices approx. are we looking at for bus or taxi?

Castillo Menorca is this far from Santo Tomas? Again is this doable by bus, taxi or hire car? And what prices are we looking at for bus or taxi?

My eldest loves horses, is there anywhere where she could do pony/horse trekking?

Many thanks in advance

Gemma :-)

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Victoria Playa Hotel, Santo Thomas

Thank You MenorcaRegular, im sure we will have a lovely time. The children know nothing about the holiday yet, so its going to be a great surprise :-)

Great info regarding the local doctor/chemist etc Thank You. We have received EHIC cards (hoprfully wont need them!!) but all handy info to know especially with little ones.

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Victoria Playa Hotel, Santo Thomas

Not just the Spanish who enjoy sunbathing nude in the quieter parts of Son Bou beach MenorcaRegular.... a fair few Brits too, including us.

The best thing about this part of the beach and Binigaus heading the other way out of Santo Tomas, is the space you get, often no other sunbathers within 50 feet or so.

Bliss, although it is a trek.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,502 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Victoria Playa Hotel, Santo Thomas

Jon-the-dog has admitted to frequenting Binigaus too hodghegs - in fact you might have been next to him and Mrs JTD without knowing :-) If I was younger and slimmer I would be tempted to join you all in shedding your cozzies on that stretch of beach as it is lovely along there, but my 19 year old son would not be amused (I am embarrassing enough as it is without him risking seeing me sunbathing in the buff) so for that reason alone I will desist.

BTW, from the beach at Binigaus have you walked up the baranc to the Cova de Coloms ? We have done it a couple of times and have never bumped into a soul on the way although occasionally there have been people who have walked down to it from Es Mijgorn.

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Victoria Playa Hotel, Santo Thomas

Would love to do that walk,and many, many more....

Our son is 14 and is mortally embarrassed by us. I don't go nude, my husband does though, always has,always will...... sigh. We also visit Sa Mesquida, Binimel-la and Es Grau so not too much scope for naked sunbathing there.

When we are able to holiday alone we plan to come out of season and do "proper" walking holidays in April or October. I can't wait.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,502 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Victoria Playa Hotel, Santo Thomas

Ah yes, the embarrassment factor. You are not allowed to embarrass them but ............... All can say is enjoy his company while you can - they grow up too quickly and before you know it you are waving them off to Zante or some other godawful place wondering if they will come back in one piece! Mine went on an 18-30 holiday last summer with 16 friends and admitted that he was shocked at how dire the accommodation they had was compared to what he was used to . I told him that hopefully he now appreciated the places he had stayed in when he came with us but he just gave me that "oh mother" look - I can't imagine what he meant :-0)

London, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Victoria Playa Hotel, Santo Thomas

Ha ha, had this with my son last year for the first time who is the same age and went to Magaluf on his first 18 - 30 type holiday, he also couldn't believe how dire the accommodation was, especially as it cost £560 per child (are they still children? ) for the week and they were 3 to a tiny room ! Hopefully it makes him realise what a good job I have done on holidays these last few years - but somehow I think not.

But he says he's coming to Minorca this summer so it can't all have been bad.

Lincoln, United...
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: Victoria Playa Hotel, Santo Thomas

hi all - just wondering - as you mentioned needing medication, is there anything in particular we may need to take? other than paracetamol etc?

Justed booked our first family holiday to VP and soooooooooo excited.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,502 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Victoria Playa Hotel, Santo Thomas

Are you a different Gemma - because if not I thought from the original post that you were going in May 2014 ??????

Assuming you are a different Gemma ( I see location is different even though the username is the same) you will be fine - in the (unlikely) event that you need more than paracetamol, there is a lovely English speaking chemist just 2 mins away (is open 7 days a week but closed between 1 & 5pm for the siesta ) and the supermarket nearby carries all sorts of things and that is open all day long. The local ( private) doctor is located above the supermarket but stepping over the threshold will cost so go to chemist first ( see post 10 on this thread) as you can buy lots of things there you may need a prescription here for. )

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,502 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Victoria Playa Hotel, Santo Thomas

I have just looked and see that the original poster Gemma J from Exeter has indeed been to the VP and come back already, has submitted a great review and enjoyed the holiday so much she has rebooked for 2015!

Whilst looking at the review she left, I noticed several later reviews of stays in June suggesting " issues" with a sickness bug in allegedly brought in by someone who knowingly flew out to the island whilst infected with a sickness bug and passed it around. I have just returned from Santo Tomas myself (I was not staying in the VP though) and heard nothing about any general bugs in the resort so hopefully it was indeed a nasty but isolated incident which is now sorted and Gemma J from Lincoln will have no problems :-)

Edited: 29 June 2014, 20:19
20. Re: Victoria Playa Hotel, Santo Thomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Santo Tomas