We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinery and # of days

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinery and # of days

Having been sidelined by work I'm late in my planning for end of December/January 1) I will have spent a night in Vellore, 2 nights in Mahabalipuram. I then want to go south to Pondicherry. Can this be done by train?

2) I would like to spend a half day walking about the Rajagiri and krishnagiri at Gingee. I plan to visit Thiruvannamalai. Are these best done as day trips from Pondicherry? If so should I then spend 3 or 4 nights in P'cherry? Or fewer nights In P'cherry and one or two nights in Thiruavannamalai?

3) I will continue south to Kumbakonam, Thanjavur and Trichy and thence to Madurai.

4) Where would it make sense to hire a hiring a driver for a few days?

I hope this isn't too much to ask in a forum. I'd appreciate some thoughts if only to parts of this. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Vellore
Vellore
Vellore District, India
Mahabalipuram
Mahabalipuram
Kanchipuram District, India
Pondicherry
Pondicherry
Union Territory of Pondicherry, India
Kumbakonam
Kumbakonam
Thanjavur District, India
Thanjavur
Thanjavur
Thanjavur District, India
Madurai
Madurai
Madurai District, India
London, United...
Level Contributor
34,726 posts
643 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinery and # of days

Hi Scott B definitely you can visit Gingee and Thiruvannamalai in a day trip from Pondy. Overnight in TRVmalai makes sense only if you want to attend a special religious event who takes place in the night or if you want to spend some days in an ashram. Pondy is more lively than...

I suggest to hire a car and explore the Chettinad area that is quite unspoilt on the tour between Kumbakonan Tanjur and Trichy.

As concerns public transports between those places, I've never travelled by train, always by bus or private car.

Mentioned in this post
Le Pondy
Le Pondy
1,166 Reviews
Pondicherry, India
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinery and # of days

Thanks so much for your reply. Very helpful. I'd thought of the chettinad area. Finding a base in a smaller place from which I could do day trips to trichy thanjavur. Does this make sense?

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinery and # of days

i would suggest to club mahabalipuram with south as you could do easily like

mahabalipuram-> pondicherry(if interested)-> chidambaram->kumbakonam-> thanjore-> trichy.

this can be done only by cab.

you can plan the halts in pondicherry, kumbakonam, trichy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34,726 posts
643 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinery and # of days

Chettinad area has some hidden gems as accomodation in heritage mansions full of charme where you can base whilst exploring the area but obviously anything to do but enjoying the daily life.

5. Re: Itinery and # of days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 17:17