We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chennai to Pondicherry- safe route for self-driving

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
Chennai to Pondicherry- safe route for self-driving

We are planning to drive down to Pondicherry from Chennai( Taylors Road, Kilpauk). I can see 2 possible routes....

1) the NH-45, through Chengalpattu and Tindivanam. This is a 4-lane drive, hence more convenient for driving;

2) the NH-49 or the ECR...... the 2-lane drive....more scenic obviously and my preferred route.

Any more feed-back from experienced boarders about the pros and cons of these 2 routes?

Mostly, my wife shall do the driving...and we shall be starting from Chennai at around 3 pm. Thanks in advance,

Kodaikanal, India
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chennai to Pondicherry- safe route for self-driving

for Safety is Concern NH45

For Enjoyable is Concern NH49( ECR)

Your's Traveller Friend

$ichot

Kerala, India
Destination Expert
for Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Kerala
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chennai to Pondicherry- safe route for self-driving

Though i agree to the concern and the best option suggested above , i am inclined to ECR

you may ECR stretch on your return( if that is during early morning hours or afternoon , when i guess traffic will be less )

Chennai
Level Contributor
58 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chennai to Pondicherry- safe route for self-driving

Though the ECR is scenic there is a lot of rash driving on that. NH45 is a better option as its 4 lane. If you are driving back on a weekend I would suggest you rather avoid the ECR and opt for NH45

Faridabad, India
Level Contributor
36 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chennai to Pondicherry- safe route for self-driving

Dear friends.....How much is the difference in time taken via the 2 routes ? Thanx

Kodaikanal, India
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chennai to Pondicherry- safe route for self-driving

ECR Route 25km Shorter than NH45.

Your's Traveller Friend

$ichot

Edited: 08 October 2014, 13:48
Faridabad, India
Level Contributor
36 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chennai to Pondicherry- safe route for self-driving

And what about the condition of the road?

Chennai
Level Contributor
58 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chennai to Pondicherry- safe route for self-driving

Both are toll roads. The ECR is a two lane road from uthandi till the outskirts of puduchery. The NH 45 is a four lane road throughout. Both the roads are in good condition. NH45 though longer by 25 kms is a better road because it is four laned. The ecr though scenic has lots of curves and traffic also is rash.

Faridabad, India
Level Contributor
36 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chennai to Pondicherry- safe route for self-driving

Thanks a lot dear!

9. Re: Chennai to Pondicherry- safe route for self-driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2015, 05:15