We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel advice from Bagdogra to Gangtok

Chennai
4 posts
Save Topic
Travel advice from Bagdogra to Gangtok

Folks,

I am scheduled to come to Gangtok with wife and kid in 4th week of May. Need some travel advice.

My flight lands at 3.30 pm in the evening.

1. Do I have enough time to reach Gangtok on the same day? Is driving after dark safe on these roads?

2. In case we arrive a day earlier in Bagdogra, are there places to see in Bagdogra in the evening or in the morning?

3. Are the places to stop and see on the way from Bagdogra to Gangtok if we leave by car in the morning?

Thanks in advance.

Hemanth

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,396 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel advice from Bagdogra to Gangtok

Hi,

If your flight lands at 3.30 PM, you will start off for Gangtok expected around 4 or 4.30 PM. The journey takes about 4 hours, but allowing for night time driving you will reach around 8.30 - 9. I would personally go ahead straight to Gangtok but you may want to spend the night at Siliguri and head for Gangtok after breakfast next morning. That's a fair plan as well. There is nothing as such to see in Siliguri, however you may ask your driver to stop at Coronation Bridge on the way to Gangtok and take a few photos.

Chennai
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel advice from Bagdogra to Gangtok

Thanks a lot, brave1. Is the helicopter a reliable option - I meant reliable as in does it cancelled often?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,396 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel advice from Bagdogra to Gangtok

The main problem with helicopter is they allow only 10 Kg luggage allowance per person. Better to do it by car.

Chennai
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel advice from Bagdogra to Gangtok

Thanks brave1

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel advice from Bagdogra to Gangtok

Hello Hemant,

I believe that you should stay in Siliguri instead of taking the drive to Gangtok the same day. I did that drive last year and it took forever to get there. The altitude sickness also gets in and kind of makes you feel uneasy. Stopping at Siliguri and recuperating is not a bad idea.

If luggage is not an issue than the Helicopter is excellent. I took that on my way back and it was nice and fast.

Enjoy Gangtok. Its a beautiful place with simple pure people.

Chennai
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel advice from Bagdogra to Gangtok

Thanks Zidane9

Ghaziabad, India
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel advice from Bagdogra to Gangtok

i am planing to go Sikkim in October? how will be the whether in oct.? how can i go to Sikkim from bagdogra?

nashik
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel advice from Bagdogra to Gangtok

we are planning a trip to Gangtok from 29th May to 1st June 2013. Kindly advise.

bangalore
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel advice from Bagdogra to Gangtok

Hi,

We are making a trip to Sikkim next week but plan to spend two days at Darjeeling as we are flying into Bagdogra. The idea is to spend two days in darjeeling and then head to Gangtok. Will 5 days be sufficient to cover the popular tourist attractions in Sikkim. Some of the places we have shortlisted are, Namchi, Rumtek monastery, Tsomgo lake, Lachung, Yumthang etc. Also can you suggest some good accommodations in Sikkim. How is the seven hill village resort in Namchi? I am aware its peak tourist season and we are already late in making our bookings but any useful suggestions will greatly help.

Thanks

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
911 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel advice from Bagdogra to Gangtok

If your flight lands at 3.30 PM, you will start off for Gangtok expected around 4 or 4.30 PM. The journey takes about 4.5 hours (Cause you May need tea break between your journey) .but allowing for night time driving you will reach around -9.30. There is no problem reaching Gangtok at night but now a days you can't reach Gangtok on time as there is a major Road widenning work going on Near Teesta. the Road From Sevok to Teesta Poool or bridge attract good amount of Traffic in the Evening .In that cast You may want to spend the night at Siliguri or there is a Place called " MONGPONG" (40-50 minutes distance from Bagdogra) near Sevok /cornation bridge. The scenic beauty of Mongpong is very good. there is a forest developement bunglow.(Tariif betwwen -( 850-1000) for more information you can visit www. wbfdc.com . you can head for Gangtok after breakfast next morning from this place . That's a fair plan as well. There is nothing as such to see in Siliguri, however you may ask your driver to stop at Coronation Bridge on the way to Gangtok and take a few photos. think Helicopter is not a good choice for that time only.

Edited: 18 May 2013, 11:34