We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sikkim in Dec with 6 month old child

Which Gangtok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Sikkim in Dec with 6 month old child

Dear Destination Experts,

We are a family of 6 adults (30's - 50's age group)and 4 children ( 6 months to 6 years) looking to travel to Sikkim in the 4th week of December.We are looking at fairly relaxed holiday for a week. First of all I would like to know is it advisable to do Sikkim with a 6 month old baby. Second, if yes then what would be the best itinerary. Request the experts to give their views.

Regards,

Piyush Jain

Gangtok, India
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sikkim in Dec with 6 month old child

Hi,Piyush Jain

December is quite chill in hills area but still you can visit some of the part with extra care for your 6month old child

you may follow itinerary

Day 1- Bagdogra airport /NJP to Darjeeling

Day2- Darjeeling sightseeing

Day 3- Darjeeling to pelling

Day 4- pelling sightseeing

Day 5- pelling to Gangtok

Day 6- Gangtok sightseeing

Day 7 – Gangtok to Bagdogra airport/NJP drop

D.K

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sikkim in Dec with 6 month old child

Hi himalaya_12,

Thank you for your immediate reply. I am not too keen on Darjeeling. shall consider Gangtok and Pelling. Can we do changu lake with the 6 month old kid? How are the roads from Gangtok to Pelling and Pelling to NJP? how long does it take to travel from Gangtok to Pelling and Pelling to NJP?

Appreciate your response.

Piyush.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
911 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sikkim in Dec with 6 month old child

Piyush2221,

Being a tourist you can do the trip in the month of december , but being a good father it wise that you cancelled the tour in the month of december with a 6 year year old guy .

Road to tsongmo lake and nathula maximum time closed due to snow fall at month of december . i advised strictly not to move in the month of december at Sikkim . not only Tsongmo lake , nathula , road to gangtok from Bagdogra/NJP takes 4.5-5 hours. it is tough for 6 month old baby .

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Sikkim
Level Contributor
230 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sikkim in Dec with 6 month old child

Hi Piyush,

As suggested by Dipans, travelling to Sikkim will be difficult for a 6 month old baby in December due to the long journeys in severe cold atmosphere. The temperature will be around from 5-15 degrees C in places like Gangtok, Pelling etc. It can be close to 0 if there is a cold wave. Tsomgo lake is strict no as the temperature there in Dec fourth week will surely be close to 0 degrees and you may get stranded due to snowfall. Also, the height there is not suitable for 6 month baby.

However, if you are too keen to visit Sikkim around that time and think you can protect the baby with heavy woolen gears in temperatures ranging from 0 (should be 5 min normally) to 15 degrees and mange the long 5-6 hour journeys by car, then you can try the following itinerary.

Day 1 - Reach NJP and then move to Gangtok

Day 2 - Gangtok local S/S

Day 3 - Gangtok to Ravangla, afternoon free to stroll

Day 4 - Ravangla to Kaluk via Temi Tea Garden, Samdruptse, Char Dham at Namchi

Day 5 - Kaluk Sightseeing like Kanchenjunga falls, Hee-bermiok, Singshore Bridge, Changey falls

Day 6 - Kaluk to NJP

Himadri.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
911 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sikkim in Dec with 6 month old child

sorry pijush read as 6 month old baby

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sikkim in Dec with 6 month old child

Thank you Himadri and Dipans for your reply. I do understand that its difficult with a 6 months old baby. Thats why we are looking at a fairly relaxed trip and not making it hectic. Apart from Tsomgo Lake is there any other difficulty? cause then we might look at some members staying back in Gangtok and others visit Tsomgo Lake. The objecttive is to spend most of the time with the family. we are looking at 5 nights in sikkim excuding travel from NJP.

I was thinking of 3 nights in Gangtok and 2 nights Pelling. We are planning to keep a car to ourselves for the trip and looking at good accomdations with some good facilities to keep all and especially the kid warm.

would Pelling be better option or Ravangla/Kaluk keeping the above in mind. Also keeping the time taken and the kind of road to such places.

Piyush

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
911 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sikkim in Dec with 6 month old child

Dear Piyush ,

Honestly speaking , in the month of December travel with 6 month old baby at Gangtok and other place is not advisable. specially i don't advised .If you asked Good TA member / expert and tour operator they also agree with me. after reading your post i understood that you want to visit and it finalised . as you finalised the program than move with caution and adequate measure for your chguld. if you not decide than march is better time than December with 6 month old baby .

Now your question - 3 night at Gangtok its quite ok . and 2 night pelling also ok . Kaluk is better than Plng if you hardcore nature lover, like offbeat destination , but your other family member will enjoy pelling . Pelling is better than ravangla. . You can visit Ravangla enroute pelling from Gangtok . iwill not advised Kaluk due to distance from Gangtok and too much cold at December ..Regarding hotel i would suggest go TA forum or website , otherwise you can contact - 089722 47306 ..north east travel Kolkata .. regarding hotel and other information.

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sikkim in Dec with 6 month old child

Dear DE's,

There is a change in the plan. After all the comments and views, we are no longer traveling with the 6 month old baby. We are now 3 families with 6 adults and 6 children ( 4.5 years to 12 years) traveling to Sikkim on 22nd or 23rd dec for 6-7 days. Keeping this in mind what would the itiernary be now? Request your expert opinion.

Regards

Piyush

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Sikkim
Level Contributor
230 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sikkim in Dec with 6 month old child

Hi Piyush,

The plan given by me still holds good. You can add one day trip to Tsomgo Lake, Nathula (if it is open) from Gangtok. You will surely find some snow there.

Himadri.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,368 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sikkim in Dec with 6 month old child

Piyush2221

Itinerary -

Day1 Arrival at Bagdogra & transfer Gangtok. Stroll around M.G.Marg

Day2 Gangtok. – Nathula Pass (except Mon/Tue), Baba Mandir & Tsomgo Lake.

Day3 To Pelling via Temi Tea Garden, Sandruptse, Namchi.

Day4 Pelling - Rimbi Waterfalls, Kanchenjunga Water Falls, Khecheopalri Lake. Pemayangtse Monastery, Rubduntse Palace Ruins.

Day5 Pelling to Hilley (via Okhrey), Hilley-Barsey trek. Night stay at Kaluk

Day6 Kaluk to NJP/Bagdogra

Edited: 03 October 2013, 13:56