We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japanese Encephalitis Scare in Siliguri

Which Gangtok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Japanese Encephalitis Scare in Siliguri

Hi - I am planning to visit Gangtok from Sep 15 to 20 (via bagdogra airport) but I am really worried bout the Japanese Encephalitis scare in West Bengal as I am travelling with a 2 year old kid.

Please let me know if it is safe or should we cancel our trip.

Thanks,

Bhavana

Sikkim, India
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japanese Encephalitis Scare in Siliguri

it is absolutely safe for you to travel as of now becaose the nearest place where a very few cases of of japaneese Encephalitis has been reported in the news is around 250 kms away from siliguri. prebook your vehicle so after you get out of the airport you can directly travel to gangtok.

thank you and regards.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Japanese Encephalitis Scare in Siliguri

For safer side, get your kid vaccinated with JE vaccine..its cost around rs.700. 2 doses are given.. consult with your pediatrician.

Gangtok, India
Destination Expert
for Sikkim
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Japanese Encephalitis Scare in Siliguri

No need to cancel your trip.It is all under control.

Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Japanese Encephalitis Scare in Siliguri

Thanks! I believe you are a resident of Sikkim - I hope there are no issues in Gangtok too

Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Japanese Encephalitis Scare in Siliguri

We are reaching at 4pm in the evening and we were told that it is not safe to travel to Gangtok in late evenings so we have booked a night at Airport Summit which is 10 min away from thw airport. The hotel is centrally air conditioned so am hoping all will be ok. Extremely worried!

Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Japanese Encephalitis Scare in Siliguri

We realized the Vaccine only comes into effect 28 days after the 3rd dose and now we have only 15 days left..

Sikkim, India
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Japanese Encephalitis Scare in Siliguri

bhavana B,

if you are also planning to visit darjeeling , you can travel to darjeeling the same day(3hrs)..that ways you will save a day..

thank you and regards.,

Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Japanese Encephalitis Scare in Siliguri

How far is Darjelling from Bagdogra? We will only be landing at 4:00p - Do you think we can cover Darjeeling? Thanks for your help

Sikkim, India
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Japanese Encephalitis Scare in Siliguri

yes you can ..bagdogra to darjeeling may take around 3hrs maximum in a exclusive car(80kms)

Gangtok, India
Destination Expert
for Sikkim
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Japanese Encephalitis Scare in Siliguri

Since you land at 4pm..staying the night in Siliguri/Bagdogra is a good option.Not worth travelling after dark in September.

Theres no problem in Gangtok.Infact,the media has over hyped the situation in Bengal,like always.Dont worry too much.