We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windsurfing and rock climbing- is Hvar or Brac better?

Poland
3 posts
Save Topic
Windsurfing and rock climbing- is Hvar or Brac better?

I would like to spend 2 weeks in Croatia with my family but also do these two sports: rock climbing and windsurfing. Can you recommend me a place that would match my needs? Of course, the rocks do not have to be in front of the balcony - I will have a car but it would be nice if I could live close to some windsurfing location.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windsurfing and rock climbing- is Hvar or Brac better?

Brac may be better and especially the famous Zlatni rat beach since it is more open to NW wind that is common and perfect for windsurfing. Climbing: there are some rocks on Hvar that are prepared for climbers but if you go to Blaca monastery, you will have a fantastic canyon to explore and climb. Not sure if that is prepared for climbing.

In general, Paklenica NP is top spot in Croatia (Europe?) for climbers and nearby Nin, with sandy beaches is a very popular windsurfing destination so you may want to re-consider where to stay.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,522 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windsurfing and rock climbing- is Hvar or Brac better?

Bol on Brac is a great place for windsurfing. Not sure of the rock climbing part though.

Poland
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Windsurfing and rock climbing- is Hvar or Brac better?

Thank you very much. Yes I read about Bol and its popularity for windsurfing, so probably I could choose this location and make trips to Hvar for some climbing if there is a ferry. There is also another good windsurfign place of which I heard - Viganj - do you know it and can recommend it? Is the wind there as common as in Bol? We are talking about June/July

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,522 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windsurfing and rock climbing- is Hvar or Brac better?

The Viganj- Orebic area is another great place to do some windsurfing and it also puts you close to Korcula for a day trip or two! You could also look at climbing Sveti Ilija here too---

www.peljesactravel.com/svetiilija-peljesac/

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windsurfing and rock climbing- is Hvar or Brac better?

There are many climbing paths on island Hvar:

http://www.climb-europe.com/croatia/split.htm

Many windsurfers come to Hvar too.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Windsurfing and rock climbing- is Hvar or Brac better?

If you decide on Viganj and decide to hike Sveti Ilija, please be careful! That is one very treacherous mountain and several unprepared people lost their lives. Just make sure you wear proper footwear and lots of water. Stay on marked trails and you will be rewarded by some of Croatia's most beautiful panoramas!

Poland
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Windsurfing and rock climbing- is Hvar or Brac better?

Thanks a lot for informaiton but actually, it's not hiking I am looking for but rock climbing with gear (rope, quickdraws) and all that stuff. But Hvar seems quite interesting for climbing.

So, where to live in Hvar - is it better to choose the northern shore of the island (Jelsa) opposite to Brac and use the strong wind that blows along Bol?

Or rather the south is more windy?

8. Re: Windsurfing and rock climbing- is Hvar or Brac better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2010, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Hvar Island