We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hvar to Split - Catermaran or ferry

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hvar to Split - Catermaran or ferry

Hi there,

i know there are a few posts like this and usually i'm very good at organising my travels but i'm starting to get a little confused as there are so many options and different times..

I need to leave Hvar on 29/07/12 to get to Split to catch the ferry to Ancona at 17.00, Would someone be able to advise me of the best way of getting there and whether it is necessary to book tickets in advance or if we can just turn up and pay as we board. There would be just 2 foot passengers.

Thank you in advance

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hvar to Split - Catermaran or ferry

As you are catching an international ferry and going from outside the EU to a country inside the EU it might be worth investigating or at least buying the tickets before you go to Hvar.

The Hvar-Split catamarans tend to leave Hvar Town very early. If you don't want to catch the cat then you can get the regular ferries from Stari Grad on Hvar. You don't stay where you are staying on Hvar.

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hvar to Split - Catermaran or ferry

Hi Jude C,

Thanks for the quick reply.

So you would recommend buying the Split to ancona tickets in advance?

The tickets to get from Hvar to Split are ok to buy the day before or on the day?

We're staying in in Hvar Town.

Also would you happen to know if the overnight ferry from hvar to ancona to rough? my girlfriend is worried that it may be bad and she'd be stuck on it for 11 hours!

thanks again

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,619 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hvar to Split - Catermaran or ferry

You can't buy the Hvar to Split tickets in advance, so get there an hour or more early to get a ticket to the catamaran or go to Stari Grad to get the ferry.

Hvar, Croatia
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hvar to Split - Catermaran or ferry

Every year you have fast ferry from Starigrad on island Hvar to Ancona ussually starting at 25 of july until end of august. Name of company is Snav and it is only 4 hours drive.You can check www.snav.it/en/destinations/croatia.html

Edited: 02 April 2012, 20:03
Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hvar to Split - Catermaran or ferry

Hi Hvar 15,

are you sure the fast ferry goes from Hvar i can only see the SNAV ferry going from Split?

Thank you all for your advice

6. Re: Hvar to Split - Catermaran or ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Hvar Island