We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hvar or Vis?

Berkeley, California
6 posts
Save Topic
Hvar or Vis?

If we only have time for one island off the coast of Split, in mid-May, would you recommend Hvar or Vis or somewhere else entirely? We're a couple in our 30s and like to eat, walk, and explore.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hvar or Vis?

1) How many days do you have to stay on the island?

2) Are you open to renting a car, scooter, or bike (the latter if quite fit)?

If you have three or more days, and the answer to #2 is yes, then I say Vis.

Though do note if the weather does not cooperate, you may prefer being in Hvar, but it only has a slight edge in that case. Mid May can be perfect, though nights may be a little chilly, and the sea certainly will be. With transportation, you can get to simply stunning beaches, and the seafood we had on Vis was the best we've had in Croatia.

Berkeley, California
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hvar or Vis?

How many days we have depends how long it takes to get places -- here is our schedule:

May 7-8 Zagreb

May 8-9 Plitvice

May 9-11 Istria

May 11-17 go down the coast -- we have to be in Dubrovnik on May 17, and we'd like to spend some time in Split and Zadar. So I figure this leaves us maybe 3 days for Hvar or Vis. Does this sound right to you?

We will have a car the entire time, and we're also open to renting bikes.

Any advice you have about the best way to break down May 11-17 would be welcome!

Thanks!

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hvar or Vis?

I came back to tell you about a story I saw in the Wash Post today about Vis:

washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/taking-i…

I have not visited Istria yet, but maybe this will help:

12 drive south, passing through Zadar and Sibenik

12 Split

13-15 island

16 Dubrovnik (I think one night is enough)

17 depart Dbv

I might be off-base about driving times, so check them on via michelin and google maps. You could also go straight away to Vis when you arrive to Split, and stay in Split after Vis, since you have to come back to Split before heading south to Dubrovnik anyway.

good luck!

Durham
Level Contributor
4,476 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hvar or Vis?

I would say go to Hvar. Hvar Town is prettier than Vis Town or Komiza. Your could make more use of your car on Hvar as its much larger. Also there are two ferry routes to Hvar so you don't need to retrace your steps back to Split.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,468 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hvar or Vis?

Hard for me not to say Vis.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,468 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hvar or Vis?

Great article in the Washington Post, luvGoing..thanks for that link!

Berkeley, California
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hvar or Vis?

Thanks for the article, luvgoing! barrymanilow, why are you inclined to Vis?

Do you guys think we could do both -- Hvar for two nights, Vis for one? I can't tell if we could get transportation between the islands.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,468 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hvar or Vis?

We went out to Vis for two nights and would go back in a heartbeat....so serene and beautiful and so quiet compared to most everywhere else along the coast.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,555 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hvar or Vis?

My vote would also be Vis. It is more our speed. Like Barry says, it is extremely serene and peaceful and utterly relaxing. It is like a sliver of paradise! :)

Oh, and you will the other parts of your journey as well.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hvar or Vis?

I would not go all the way to Vis for only one night--you may feel shortchanged, unless you just really really like to be on the move. Better to pick one to maximize your time on island and minimize time on a ferry. You will love whichever one you pick. Hvar has a reputation for glitz and partying, but it is not like that in May (probably only July-August).

In the off-season, there is a once weekly ferry from Hvar to Vis, but otherwise you go back to Split to travel between the two islands.

Get answers to your questions about Hvar Island